thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've not faced any complications with my rig consisting of Ryzen 5 3500, ASROCK B450 steel legend and Adata xpg gammix D30 3200 mhz16gb. Apart from this, I am using RTX 2060 (not oc'ed). The main reason I am posting this thread because I am in need of some advice for updating my bios. I have bios P3.20 installed in my B450 steel legend but haven't updated the bios in a while. Now that version 4.60 already launched, I was thinking about updating. Does anyone have any idea about the compatibility of P4.60 with Ryzen 5 3500? Will the update be worth it or cause any complication with my system?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've not faced any complications with my rig consisting of Ryzen 5 3500, ASROCK B450 steel legend and Adata xpg gammix D30 3200 mhz16gb. Apart from this, I am using RTX 2060 (not oc'ed). The main reason I am posting this thread because I am in need of some advice for updating my bios. I have bios P3.20 installed in my B450 steel legend but haven't updated the bios in a while. Now that version 4.60 already launched, I was thinking about updating. Does anyone have any idea about the compatibility of P4.60 with Ryzen 5 3500? Will the update be worth it or cause any complication with my system?

Thanks in advance.
Ryzen 3500 are Matisse CPU's. Asrock's BIOS support page has no cautions about...
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
Ryzen 3500 are Matisse CPU's. Asrock's BIOS support page has no cautions about this version, nor any prior, concerning Matisse so it's safe to say it's good for your processor. Be sure and read all the notes for the intermediate versions for special instructions for updating and it's also often a good idea with Asrock BIOS's to update to intermediate ones.

I think it would probably be worth it mainly because AMD fixes problems with AGESA updates but also for better Win 11 compatibility. Be sure to reset CMOS after the update.

Last edited:
Solution

thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
Ryzen 3500 are Matisse CPU's. Asrock's BIOS support page has no cautions about this version, nor any prior, concerning Matisse so it's safe to say it's good for your processor. Be sure and read all the notes for the intermediate versions for special instructions for updating and it's also often a good idea with Asrock BIOS's to update to intermediate ones.

I think it would probably be worth it mainly because AMD fixes problems with AGESA updates but also for better Win 11 compatibility. Be sure to reset CMOS after the update.
Thanks. I am aware of the compatibility fact, though I am not sure about resetting CMOS. I thought resetting CMOS usually attributes to no boot issues or no display issues. If everything goes right then I should not reset CMOS right? Please correct me if I am wrong and thanks again for your insightful opinion.

thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
The ASRock B450 Steel Legend motherboard BIOS version 4.60 is compatible with AMD Ryzen processors and AMD Athlon processors with Radeon Vega Graphics. This BIOS version also supports the latest AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.6 patch.
However, it is important to note that BIOS compatibility also depends on the specific model and revision of your processor. Before updating your BIOS to version 4.60, make sure to check the ASRock website for a list of supported processors and compatibility information.
Additionally, updating the BIOS carries some risks and should be done with caution. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions provided by ASRock and make sure to backup your current BIOS settings before proceeding with the update.
Thanks man. I already checked the compatibility list here and here and found that updating bios to 4.60 should not pose any threat. If possible, can you please let me know after checking the lists that I provided that if everything's okay? It would mean a lot. I will make sure to back up bios.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks man. I already checked the compatibility list here and here and found that updating bios to 4.60 should not pose any threat. If possible, can you please let me know after checking the lists that I provided that if everything's okay? It would mean a lot. I will make sure to back up bios.
If everything works correctly I would not bother updating.
If it's not broke don't try to fix it.

Reactions: thisisarnab.me
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
Hey there,

You should be aiming for whatever bios has the 1.2.0.7 AGESA update. This includes known USB bugs, improves mem compatibility, CPU performance increases.

The days of not changing your bios 'if it aint broke' are gone. Any self described AMD Ryzen owner has to get used to bios updates. It's par the course, and more akin to a driver update. Yes, there are pitfalls and small chance of bricking the mobo.

As suggested read your manual and make sure you've familiarised yourself with the process.

Any probs, get back to us here

Reactions: thisisarnab.me
Thanks. I am aware of the compatibility fact, though I am not sure about resetting CMOS. I thought resetting CMOS usually attributes to no boot issues or no display issues. If everything goes right then I should not reset CMOS right? Please correct me if I am wrong and thanks again for your insightful opinion.
Resetting CMOS forces BIOS settings to optimized default values and also forces the CPU to retrain memory. That can solve problems like you mentioned in addition to many other possible problems like BSOD's, audio glitching, network performance and even fan operation. A new BIOS often uses new operating and initialization parameters affecting any or all of those things so you don't want any old settings lingering in CMOS memory to mess it up. BIOS updates should reset CMOS but I've experienced ones that didn't so it's good practice to avoid problems.

It's not hard and perfectly safe since power is off and the plug removed when you do it. Removing the battery makes it even easier.... if you can get to it without having to remove the GPU at least :) .

Last edited:

thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
Thanks y'all. Since everyone suggesting the 1.2.0.7 AGESA update , Imma go with 4.31 since it's an intermediate one. I'm also gonna back up and reset CMOS if needed. I am thinking about upgrading to w11 so let's hope it will be worth it. I love you all and again thanks for helping me out.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks y'all. Since everyone suggesting the 1.2.0.7 AGESA update , Imma go with 4.31 since it's an intermediate one. I'm also gonna back up and reset CMOS if needed. I am thinking about upgrading to w11 so let's hope it will be worth it. I love you all and again thanks for helping me out.
Run a CPU benchmark before and after and see what you gained