Question asrock b450 steel legend with 2700x

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
hello

I'm planning on upgrading my pc to ryzen 7 2700x for gaming and multitasking, maybe in the future I will overclock my cpu.
but I wanted to know if this board really good in overclocking

thanks

hello

I'm planning on upgrading my pc to ryzen 7 2700x for gaming and multitasking, maybe in the future I will overclock my cpu.
but I wanted to know if this board really good in overclocking

thanks
The VRM isn't up to the same standard as Asrock's B450 Pro4 in that the lo-side FET's aren't paralleled and the heat sink isn't as impressive finned. Result is VRM temperature runs hotter, and this is with the 2600 tested.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNKYey7UMU&t=84s

It'd probably be OK with a 2700x for gaming and multitasking. Certainly if not overclocking but I'd prefer to do a PBO overclock with an X CPU for that utilization so this board should still work well...as will most b450 boards for that matter. But you may have to put a fan on the VRM section if plan to do intensive multi-threaded processing (rendering, encoding, etc.) with a manual all-core overclock.

Maybe, again its all speculation. There is no hard evidence not until we get closer to the show next month.

"Recent rumours have penned the first consumer chips for a Computex reveal and a July 7 release "
One would think that with hardware that close to release we should see pictures of boards popping up by now. Or at least some more details of what the new chipset offers.

I've yet to read anything definitive about the existence of a future B550...and even then that 'AMD may be having troubles with it'.

That is not how NDA's work. Leaks happen when someone does something against an NDA. Then when leaks happen, AMD or Intel or Samsung or Apple etc get angry and an investigation happens.
But we don't know the terms of the NDA and they are written with practical considerations in mind and the board partners are equally interested in building the excitement for their impending product releases.

'Leaks' are rarely accidental or unintended, BTW.

But we don't know the terms of the NDA and they are written with practical considerations in mind and the board partners are equally interested in building the excitement for their impending product releases.

'Leaks' are rarely accidental or unintended, BTW.
We are digressing, and I have had to sign a few NDA's in my time, and believe me, if I break them. I am in trouble.

We are digressing, and I have had to sign a few NDA's in my time, and believe me, if I break them. I am in trouble.
Yes we are digressing... but I've signed a few personal NDA's in my time too which were far more restrictive as compared to the corporate NDA's I also worked under. The corporate NDA's laid out much more detailed time-lines of the type and amount of information that could be divulged, as well as method of release, so that the company could meet their marketing and due-diligence needs.

So back on topic: the last info I've seen (provided by Gamer's Nexus) suggested B550 won't be released until at least a quarter after X570. (There was even, at that time, hints that Ryzen 3000 will be released without any 500-series chipset support but that wasn't considered optimal.) That info may be a bit dated by now, but nothing suggests B550 WON'T come after X570 if it comes at all. So point is, I just don't feel it's a smart thing for OP to delay purchasing if he has a need for the upgrade at this time.

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
The VRM isn't up to the same standard as Asrock's B450 Pro4 in that the lo-side FET's aren't paralleled and the heat sink isn't as impressive finned. Result is VRM temperature runs hotter, and this is with the 2600 tested.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNKYey7UMU&t=84s

It'd probably be OK with a 2700x for gaming and multitasking. Certainly if not overclocking but I'd prefer to do a PBO overclock with an X CPU for that utilization so this board should still work well...as will most b450 boards for that matter. But you may have to put a fan on the VRM section if plan to do intensive multi-threaded processing (rendering, encoding, etc.) with a manual all-core overclock.
apologize first, what is PBO oc?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
PBO is Precision Boost Overdrive. It's basically an auto-OC technology for AMD CPUs. From what I remember it works similarly to Precision Boost 2 and XFR2 which govern how Ryzen CPUs boost their frequency (like Intel's turbo boost), but takes it a step further by allowing it to boost past its max rated speeds. I think I read somewhere that it apparently also takes into account the capabilities of the motherboard VRM when determining how high to boost, but how exactly it would do this I'm not sure.

To expand on TJ's response...

PBO... Precision Boost Overdrive...Precision Boost Over-ride...Precision Boost Overclock. I'm not sure which it is, I've seen them all used sometimes by the same poster.

Ryzen CPU's call their core-boosting feature Precision Boost, Ryzen gen 2 expands on it boosing more frequently and longer and doing it with 2 cores/4 threads on SMT models. The 'X' CPU's will boost even higher and longer, they call that XFR boosting, and they can do that because AMD bin-sorted processor cores to put the best in the X CPU's...the best of the best going in 2700X.

Enabling PBO (override/overclock/overdrive) tells the CPU to ignore limits, as TJ says. But you can also relax other constraints in BIOS to tell it to also raise thermal limits, core current limits, etc. This allows those two cores to boost very high....usually much higher than you can achieve with a very aggressive all-core overclock. This all works much better on X CPU's because they received the best cores.

The advantage of that comes with games and simple multi-tasking apps that put a heavy processing load on only one or two cores. Even the best multi-threaded modern games usually have one thread that is the bottle neck, that thread gets to boost to 4.3-4.4Gig on a 2700X that's properly set up with a PBO overclock.

Another advantage is with core voltage offset adjustment you can actually lower core voltage (under volt) and it will keep the CPU cooler. That allows it to hold the overclock longer... or allows you to do this on stock cooling.

I've seen you state how great the Steel Legend boards are in several different threads now, but never with any evidence. Do you have any source to back up your claims?

There's 2 reviews of the board so far and both seem to agree about how good it is
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
This board has become my personal go to recommendation for midrange Ryzen boards.

Reactions: ocer9999