Question AsRock B450M Pro 4 - plastic thingy between backplate and motherboard

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Hello all,
Build my first pc this past weekend and I have an issue. On the motherboard, out of the box there was a plastic-y thingy between the backplate of the motherboard and the board itself. It doesn't look like some random thing - the mobo came with it and if fits perfectly around the shape of the backplate. I left it in place as it was and installed the cpu and stock cooler. My question is - what is that thing? Should it be there? Should I remove it?

I am not sure what you mean by white cover. I am referring to a piece that sits between the motherboard and the backplate on the back of the motherboard.

Are you talking about the CPU backplate, to which you attach the CPU's heatsink? Then the white plastic is probably an insulator to keep the metal backplate from shorting out traces on the motherboard and yes, you should leave it there.

But that's a guess.... pictures would be nice to know what you speak of for certainty.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I know what you're talking about. I have the identical board. That hard piece of rubber is just an insulator between the backplate and the board to prevent the 2 from touching. It's glued down to the plate pretty good so it's better to just leave it on the backplate.

As for why they felt the need to put it there, I don't know. I've seen many backplates that make direct contact with the board. So either way, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited: