Question NVMe M.2 SSD is not detected on Asrock B450M Pro4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2022
Just upgraded my CPU and GPU, which went pretty flawlessly. I also added a Crucial 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (up to 3500MB/s) for a game drive. This is not being detected in the BIOs or in Windows.

I've been through the manual and I can't figure out why. I'm using the M2_1 slot so there should be no conflicts with my SATA connections like there is with M2_2 slot. But just in case my boot drive is in SATA_1 and a 2TB drive is in SATA_4.

In googling, a ton of people are having similar problems but coming to different solutions, or no solution at all. I've tried re-seating and playing with 'Auto' vs 'Gen 3' under "PCIe x16 Speed" and "M.2 PCIe Speed" under AMD PBS in the BIOs. SATA Mode in BIOs is AHCI.

BIOs version 5.30
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
GPU: RX 6700 XT
RAM: Ripjaw 3200 16GB (2x8)
PSU: EVGA 750 GT Supernova (750W 80+ Gold)
Win10

Does anyone know of a compatibility list? Last one I can find shows that this Crucial drive should be compatible but I'm wondering if it's not and I should just return it and get a regular SATA drive instead. I'm not super tech savy passed building this computer 3 years ago and the recent upgrade.

Last edited:

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Just upgraded my CPU and GPU, which went pretty flawlessly. I also added a Crucial 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (up to 3500MB/s) for a game drive. This is not being detected in the BIOs or in Windows.

I've been through the manual and I can't figure out why. I'm using the M2_1 slot so there should be no conflicts with my SATA connections like there is with M2_2 slot. But just in case my boot drive is in SATA_1 and a 2TB drive is in SATA_4.

In googling, a ton of people are having similar problems but coming to different solutions, or no solution at all. I've tried re-seating and playing with 'Auto' vs 'Gen 3' under "PCIe x16 Speed" and "M.2 PCIe Speed" under AMD PBS in the BIOs. SATA Mode in BIOs is AHCI.

BIOs version 5.30
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
GPU: RX 6700 XT
RAM: Ripjaw 3200 16GB (2x8)
PSU: EVGA 750 GT Supernova (750W 80+ Gold)
Win10

Does anyone know of a compatibility list? Last one I can find shows that this Crucial drive should be compatible but I'm wondering if it's not and I should just return it and get a regular SATA drive instead. I'm not super tech savy passed building this computer 3 years ago and the recent upgrade.

Did you ever sort this out? Having a similiar issue with the same board not detecting a NVME PCIEx4 M.2

Dec 12, 2022
Did you ever sort this out? Having a similiar issue with the same board not detecting a NVME PCIEx4 M.2

Nope. No one seems to be able to help on any forum I've tried.

I've seen a few people say you can remove all drives, pull the battery out of the board, put it back in, put in JUST the NVMe and boot. And SOMETIMES it will then recognize the drive. But I don't have it in me to do all that right now. I think I'll just return the drive and get a regular SATA. I just need it for a game drive. It'd be nice to use the NVMe since it's basically the same price as an old SATA, but not worth the hassle for me.

Would be nice if Asrock boards did what they said they did. There are far too many people out there having this exact issue with this exact board. Between this and the fact that it hates to XMP my RAM so I have to keep making adjustments there, this will for sure be my last Asrock board.

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Nope. No one seems to be able to help on any forum I've tried.

I've seen a few people say you can remove all drives, pull the battery out of the board, put it back in, put in JUST the NVMe and boot. And SOMETIMES it will then recognize the drive. But I don't have it in me to do all that right now. I think I'll just return the drive and get a regular SATA. I just need it for a game drive. It'd be nice to use the NVMe since it's basically the same price as an old SATA, but not worth the hassle for me.

Would be nice if Asrock boards did what they said they did. There are far too many people out there having this exact issue with this exact board. Between this and the fact that it hates to XMP my RAM so I have to keep making adjustments there, this will for sure be my last Asrock board.

I've had no luck as well. Ive cleared CMOS and tried it in the NVME and the SATA slot. Neither recognized. I'll try with removing all the other drives now and a CMOS clear. I'll get back to you on how it goes. I agree its very upsetting you pay for a board for its features and they dont work. My ram is 3200mhz and its capped at 2133mhz using this board as well.. won't post with xmp. I was going to BIOS update to see if that solves both issues however it states on their driver site using the Ryzen 5 2600 (pinnacle ridge) that its advised against any BIOS updates newer than one from 2019. Not impressed with this board.

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
I've had no luck as well. Ive cleared CMOS and tried it in the NVME and the SATA slot. Neither recognized. I'll try with removing all the other drives now and a CMOS clear. I'll get back to you on how it goes. I agree its very upsetting you pay for a board for its features and they dont work. My ram is 3200mhz and its capped at 2133mhz using this board as well.. won't post with xmp. I was going to BIOS update to see if that solves both issues however it states on their driver site using the Ryzen 5 2600 (pinnacle ridge) that its advised against any BIOS updates newer than one from 2019. Not impressed with this board.
Well scratch that. Of course nothing worked and some further research led me to ASRocks support page..
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.asp#Storage
My WD SN770 1TB and your Crucial storage devices are (not) <--[edit] listed. However not sure when that list was last updated.
I'm going to open a support ticket with ASRock regardless and see what they say considering there's several forums with no definite answer.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022
Well scratch that. Of course nothing worked and some further research led me to ASRocks support page..
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.asp#Storage
My WD SN770 1TB and your Crucial storage devices are listed. However not sure when that list was last updated.
I'm going to open a support ticket with ASRock regardless and see what they say considering there's several forums with no definite answer.

Thanks for the update. Let me know how it goes if you hear back on the support ticket. I have a couple weeks left in my return window for the NVMe drive.

Regarding XMP, I have 3200mhz too and it would be capped at 2133mhz, same as you. I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600X to a 5600 and now XMP seems to work? I don't really get it but I'm not going to question it at this point. When I had the 2600X, I spent HOURS trying to get XMP to work and never had any luck.

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for the update. Let me know how it goes if you hear back on the support ticket. I have a couple weeks left in my return window for the NVMe drive.

Regarding XMP, I have 3200mhz too and it would be capped at 2133mhz, same as you. I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600X to a 5600 and now XMP seems to work? I don't really get it but I'm not going to question it at this point. When I had the 2600X, I spent HOURS trying to get XMP to work and never had any luck.

My time with ASRock support went as well as most support tickets go...

Me:
"Hello there. Recently I purchased a WD 1TB PCIex4 NVMe as an upgrade to a computer that is still primarly run with an older HDD. However the NVMe drive is not detected by the BIOS in either M.2_1 or M.2_2 slots. There are no sata cables plugged into sata 3_3 or 3_4. There is also nothing plugged into PCIe_4. I have tried unplugging the other two storage devices and clearing CMOS. Is this storage device just not supported by the B450 Steel Legend? Or is there some other troubleshooting I may be able to do to eneble the detection of this storage device.
Thank you"

ASRock:
"The M.2 port recommended to install the drive is M.2 slot 1 , but make sure you have not devices connected to PCIe slot 4 and also your windows 10needs to be installed in EUFI mode otherwise the M.2 drive will not be detected by windows ."
With a picture from their site with highlights stating exactly what they wrote and what we already knew.

Me:
"Thanks for your reply. I have the drive installed into M.2 1 slot. There is also nothing plugged into pcie 4. Windows is in UEFI. It still will not appear in bios or windows disk management. I tested the drive in a different motherboard and it was detected so the drive is not DOA.
Is there anything else I can try?"

ASRock:
"Contact the manufacture of the drive and ask for tool installation software
Ask the manufacture of the drive is the M.2 is backward compatible with Gen 3"

So not really helpful... I checked and the drive is backwards compatible. I guess I'll be refunding the M.2 drive.

Other note I randomly got XMP to work. Caused a failed post at 3200MHz but I just reset the PC and it worked and is properly running at 3200MHz XMP. Weird.

Dec 12, 2022
My time with ASRock support went as well as most support tickets go...

Me:
"Hello there. Recently I purchased a WD 1TB PCIex4 NVMe as an upgrade to a computer that is still primarly run with an older HDD. However the NVMe drive is not detected by the BIOS in either M.2_1 or M.2_2 slots. There are no sata cables plugged into sata 3_3 or 3_4. There is also nothing plugged into PCIe_4. I have tried unplugging the other two storage devices and clearing CMOS. Is this storage device just not supported by the B450 Steel Legend? Or is there some other troubleshooting I may be able to do to eneble the detection of this storage device.
Thank you"

ASRock:
"The M.2 port recommended to install the drive is M.2 slot 1 , but make sure you have not devices connected to PCIe slot 4 and also your windows 10needs to be installed in EUFI mode otherwise the M.2 drive will not be detected by windows ."
With a picture from their site with highlights stating exactly what they wrote and what we already knew.

Me:
"Thanks for your reply. I have the drive installed into M.2 1 slot. There is also nothing plugged into pcie 4. Windows is in UEFI. It still will not appear in bios or windows disk management. I tested the drive in a different motherboard and it was detected so the drive is not DOA.
Is there anything else I can try?"

ASRock:
"Contact the manufacture of the drive and ask for tool installation software
Ask the manufacture of the drive is the M.2 is backward compatible with Gen 3"

So not really helpful... I checked and the drive is backwards compatible. I guess I'll be refunding the M.2 drive.

Other note I randomly got XMP to work. Caused a failed post at 3200MHz but I just reset the PC and it worked and is properly running at 3200MHz XMP. Weird.

Well, that's disappointing, but expected. It seems most people have given up on trying to get their NVMe to get recognized on this board. I guess I'll join that group and return mine. Thanks for the updates.

And good to hear you had luck on the XMP. Be sure to go in every once and a while and check. Back when I had my 2600X it would work for a bit, then turn off XMP by itself. I had to keep going in and enabling it, then a month later it was reset. Repeat. Like I said, this is for sure my last Asrock board.

Nov 21, 2023
  1. same problem with b550m
  2. i have 2x WD sn850x 4tb
  3. nothing connected to sata ports
  4. sometimes after booting in the morning my 2nd nvme is not detected
  5. what helps me is:
    1. power down
    2. disconnect power cable from PC
    3. push and hild power button 30s
    4. replug power cable
    5. boot up
    6. nvme showing up