Question ASRock b450m Ryzen 7 5800x

dave218

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
ASRock b450m pro 4
Ryzen 7 5800x
BIOS version 4.20
Cycle starts does the bios need updated to 5.60 and how to update with out a working CPU

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Take it to a local mom and pop shop or similar to do it, or purchase an Athlon of the appropriate series to update. Alternately, if you can, send it back. I don't recall these have the ability to flash BIOS without CPU and RAM installed.

dave218

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Take it to a local mom and pop shop or similar to do it, or purchase an Athlon of the appropriate series to update. Alternately, if you can, send it back. I don't recall these have the ability to flash BIOS without CPU and RAM installed.
it says on the box Ryzen 4000 and 5000 ready now Ryzen 7 5800x falls into that category or should I try a BIOS flash before I do a RMA this mobo has a BIOS chip that is soldered to the board and just can't order a new one

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
it says on the box Ryzen 4000 and 5000 ready now Ryzen 7 5800x falls into that category or should I try a BIOS flash before I do a RMA this mobo has a BIOS chip that is soldered to the board and just can't order a new one

"ready" is a bit misleading with AMD chipsets in some situations as it can simply mean there is a released BIOS which offers support.
I am not aware that motherboard manufacturers have offered the BIOS chip as a user installable part in quite some time. You might be able to contact the manufacturer to see if they will or can offer guidance on having it done. If you know any PC enthusiasts they could have a CPU lying around that would work. Of course, my answers are specifically in relation to a BIOS update being your issue as it was presented that way.

Do you have any privately owned PC shops anywhere nearby?
Perhaps look on your used sites to see if you can find a 2xxx or 3xxx super cheap to use to try it? ( I would suggest 2xxx as 4xx series chipset was released "for" them)

IMO, this long lasting "support" for the AM4 socket came back to bite a lot of end users in the fanny, getting EXACTLY what you are dealing with right now. Don't get me wrong, love what Ryzen did for the market and competition but this was a clown show for folks looking to scoop new old stock or used equipment without knowing better how to deal with it.

dave218

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
"ready" is a bit misleading with AMD chipsets in some situations as it can simply mean there is a released BIOS which offers support.
I am not aware that motherboard manufacturers have offered the BIOS chip as a user installable part in quite some time. You might be able to contact the manufacturer to see if they will or can offer guidance on having it done. If you know any PC enthusiasts they could have a CPU lying around that would work. Of course, my answers are specifically in relation to a BIOS update being your issue as it was presented that way.

Do you have any privately owned PC shops anywhere nearby?
Perhaps look on your used sites to see if you can find a 2xxx or 3xxx super cheap to use to try it? ( I would suggest 2xxx as 4xx series chipset was released "for" them)

IMO, this long lasting "support" for the AM4 socket came back to bite a lot of end users in the fanny, getting EXACTLY what you are dealing with right now. Don't get me wrong, love what Ryzen did for the market and competition but this was a clown show for folks looking to scoop new old stock or used equipment without knowing better how to deal with it.
So I've looked for a 3000g CPU and it looks like I can buy a updated mobo like a ASRock 550 or better for the same price or cheaper that should hopefully have the updated bios for the 5800x I might just go that route because the b450m wasn't going to have any OC capability not that I was going to do much overclocking anyways

You may try the b550. If you could have borrowed a cpu or bought something like this or an athlon you should be able to update. I have an Asrock ab350 pro 4, currently with a 5600x installed. But on that board you do have to do incremental bios updates to get where you need to be. Decent board but you do need a cpu and ram that work first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2648017969...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY