Question Asrock b450m steel legend m.2 support

Noxxny789

Reputable
Apr 14, 2020
I've Asrock b450m steel legend motherboard. I've a m.2 drive installed in the standard m.2 slot which is also my boot drive. For work related purpose I'm thinking about installing a nvme m.2 and install it the Ultra m.2 slot.

Please help me with two questions:

1.) Can I use both the m.2 drive together? Or i won't be able to use the standard slot for sata m.2 after installing a nvme m.2 in the ultra m.2 slot?

2.) As I said i use the sata m.2 already installed as the boot drive. Will i be forced to make the new nvme m.2 my boot drive? Or can i use the nvme m.2 drive without making it boot drive?

Sorry for my bad English. And Thanks in advance for the help!

Noxxny789

Reputable
Apr 14, 2020
1| Yes
2| No
Thanks man T_T just one last question. I currently have a hdd along with the sata m.2 so I'll be able to run both the m.2 + hdd no problem right? Because of asrock wesite it says sata3_3 will be disabled if I'm using ultra m.2

Thanks man! You've been a huge help! As a student this is really helpful to me!

Lutfij

Titan
If it(the HDD in question)'s not populating SATA3_3 on the motherboard, you're fine. If it is at this moment of time, plug that SATA HDD into any of the other 3 SATA ports that the motherboard has. Please make sure your system is powered down when you're attempting to swap devices on the motherboard's ports/slots.

FYI, the Ultra M.2 slot is M2_1, not M2_2. Please refer to these slots like so instead of standard and ultra. The M2_2 shares connectivity with the SATA3_3 port. The M2_1 is wired to the CPU(not the chipset).

Last edited:
Reactions: Noxxny789