Question Asrock B450M Steel Legend Ram question

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hello all

I'm trying to put together a pc build, and I know I want a Ryzen 5 2600, the Asrock B450M Steel Legend and 8 gigs of ram.

The problem is that on their site they don't list any options to actually end up with 8 gigs of ram! There's a lot I don't know about all of this, but I gather that you get performance boosts from using two dimms instead of 1, but can this mb use a single stick of 8? Specifically I was looking at this.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233821&ignorebbr=1

I know it's not ideal, but this is the type of thing I plan to upgrade to better stuff a little later on. I'm not necessarily looking for optimum performance so much as basic viability opinions. Will this single stick work here?

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
It's possible yes , but will it. Maybe, maybe not. Ryzen is picky when it comes to memory compatibility. I see some sets work on certain B450 boards for example and not others. LPX does tend to run good on the Ryzen platform.

And is there a reason Asrock doesn't list ANY single stick configurations on their site for this particular board? Like, is it only possible to use dual channel setups on this one?

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Because memory performance is faster when sold as a set. Also , manufactures test mainly sets because that is how they are purchased almost all the time. Note: adding memory in the future can be hit and miss even if identical.

I see. I didn't know they only list in sets.

I don't plan on purchasing a second stick of what I listed. I'm just trying to figure out if one stick of what I linked is a viable stop gap measure until I can afford better. I have a very nicely priced configuration that works for my budget IF that particular ram will work for now.

Reactions: Banned by Net