Question Asrock B450M steel legend second NVME drive not working

rayzeeu

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Hi guys, I just bought a second NVME drive for my motherboard. I reluctantly bought the drive without doing any research on my motherboard as it's quite old and I completely forgot what it supported. This drive was meant to replace my boot drive and I would then re-use the old boot drive for a games drive. Anyhow I found out the hard way that the second slot does not support NVME and is made for SATA drives. My question is where do I go from here? I don't want to return the drive since I got it at an extremely discounted price. I could buy a PCIE expansion card for the NVME drive but my second x16 slot is blocked by the girth of my GPU. The only available slot is my x 1 slot which I'm unsure of as I don't know if it can support the full speeds. I also have looked at B550 boards but since the platform is outdated now I would rather save my money and upgrade to AM5 in late 2023. I'm okay with an expansion card on the 1x slot as long as it's faster than my 5400rpm HDD that i'm currently using as a games drive, I just need to know if it would work out of the box with no hassle. Any suggestions?

rayzeeu

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Th PCIe x1 will have some bandwidth constraints, since the speed might not be that much faster than M.2 SATA.
It will be a lot faster than a 5400rpm HDD...around 6x time faster.

Thanks for the reply!
Do you have any suggestions for the PCI expansion card that I can buy for the NVME?