[SOLVED] Asrock b450m

May 3, 2020
I recently reseated my cpu cooler and afterwards my PC won't start. I have got it down to either cpu or motherboard problem. Just wondering if the motherboard rgb would come on with a fried cpu? Rgb isn't coming on but all fans are spinning up so I'm thinking it's probably the motherboard. Or would the motherboard rgb still turn on with no cpu installed?

Solution
What are your FULL system hardware specs?

Check to see that you didn't accidentally reconnect your monitor display cable to the motherboard video output instead of the graphics card video output. Easy mistake to make, I've done it myself once or twice through the years.

When you cleaned the CPU, did you remove the CPU from the socket or did you leave it installed? Any chance that anything, thermal paste, whatever, was able to get into the CPU socket OR if you removed the CPU that possibly you may have bent a pin or two on the CPU or motherboard socket depending on whether it's AMD or Intel? That is the MOST common issue on new builds or in cases where the CPU has been removed.

If all else fails, you will probably want to bench test...
What do you mean by "reseated my CPU cooler"?

Do you mean you "re-pasted" it? Or that you took it off and then put it back on without changing the paste for some weird reason, or, something else entirely?

My first thought is that you may have overtightened the CPU cooler, which case cause a variety of problems.

Did you remove the CPU during this procedure, in any way?

What, EXACTLY, did you DO. Include everything that you disconnected or unplugged, or removed, while "reseating the CPU cooler".

May 3, 2020
What do you mean by "reseated my CPU cooler"?

Do you mean you "re-pasted" it? Or that you took it off and then put it back on without changing the paste for some weird reason, or, something else entirely?

My first thought is that you may have overtightened the CPU cooler, which case cause a variety of problems.

Did you remove the CPU during this procedure, in any way?

What, EXACTLY, did you DO. Include everything that you disconnected or unplugged, or removed, while "reseating the CPU cooler".
Yip I took the cooler off cleaned the CPU with iso then reapplyed the thermal paste and reseated the cooler. Pretty sure I didn't over tighten, I stopped when it couldn't turn anymore. After that nothing would turn on so I reset the cmos and now my case fans and GPU fans spin up 100% but no post. I have tried everything, double checked over and over, my psu fine in other pc and tried the ram sticks singularly and I have completely rebuild the pc again from the bottom up so I am thinking either cpu or motherboard. Now the rgb on the motherboard doesn't lght up at all so I'm thinking it must be motherboard but unsure if it would still light up if the CPU was fried

What are your FULL system hardware specs?

Check to see that you didn't accidentally reconnect your monitor display cable to the motherboard video output instead of the graphics card video output. Easy mistake to make, I've done it myself once or twice through the years.

When you cleaned the CPU, did you remove the CPU from the socket or did you leave it installed? Any chance that anything, thermal paste, whatever, was able to get into the CPU socket OR if you removed the CPU that possibly you may have bent a pin or two on the CPU or motherboard socket depending on whether it's AMD or Intel? That is the MOST common issue on new builds or in cases where the CPU has been removed.

If all else fails, you will probably want to bench test the system using the guidelines found here:

But first, make sure you have TRIPLE checked everything here:

Solution