Question Asrock b550 unable to update BIOS

Jul 23, 2022
I have built PC with the following components after matching the specifications
CPU Ryzen 5 5600G integrated graphics
MoBo Asrock B550 Pro4 (Bios P1.20)
RAM ADATA XPG 3200 MHz
NVMe Oscco 256 GB
PS ANT eSports 550 v
After assembling everything is seems to be okay but after power on everything working fine besides red light constant on VGA mark. Which creates some doubts. Also i know for 5600G bios should be upgraded to P1.80 but my problem is that after power on no display is come up rather a white dash on screen. Also keyboard is not detected. I have tried all the possible way to enter into bios or bios update through pendrive. Nothing work at all. Kindly help me in this regard.

Last edited:
Please read the note furnished with the p1.80 BIOS update on Asrock support page:

"To support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU."

Matisse are 3000 series CPU's, Renoir are 4000 series APU's, Vermeer are 5000 series CPU's. You have a 5600G, i.e. "5000 G-series processor", which is Cezanne. It seems strange to me but Asrock has been noteably strange before.

bignastyid

Titan
U will need a cpu called AMD RYZEN 3 1200 cpu if you have gone amd but i always used amd cpu over intels
Any cpu supported by bios rev P1.20 will work it does not have to specifically be the 1200.

However if the OP does not have a GPU then it would require a g series cpu(has an igpu) or would they need to install a gpu in order for the system to post and perform the bios update.

@dibakarkhan
You may just want to contact a shop and see if they can update the bios for you as that will likely be cheaper than getting another cpu.

Any cpu supported by bios rev P1.20 will work it does not have to specifically be the 1200.
Thing is...Asrock note for P1.20 says it should support 5000 series G APU's so OP's processor SHOULD work with the BIOS he has (even if not to update BIOS).

And then again, in the support list it says 5600G begins with 1.80.

Pretty screwed up on Asrocks part if you ask me.

One suggestion to OP: if you have any sort of GPU to slot in try it with your 5600G to see if you can get a display and then try to update BIOS. And why not go all the way to the latest? it fixes a number of issues that have plagued current gen processors and offers proper compatibity with Win11.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
Thing is...Asrock note for P1.20 says it should support 5000 series G APU's so OP's processor SHOULD work with the BIOS he has.

And then again, in the support list it says 5600G begins with 1.80.

Pretty screwed up on Asrocks part if you ask me.
Asrocks cpu support list clearly shows the 5600g requires bios p1.80. The p1.20 update was for the the first 5XXX series that was released quite a bit before then. The latest 5xxx series require bios P2.20
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Pro4/index.asp#CPU
The release notes for 1.20 only shows "Support AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series processors " nothing about the 5xxx G series as they would have been unknown or atleast under NDA.

The release notes for 1.20 only shows "Support AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series processors " nothing about the 5xxx G series as they would have been unknown or atleast under NDA.

hah...that's the confusing part. in my experience, the term "processor" means both APU's and CPU's, as opposed to APU or CPU exclusively. Correctly I would expect it to say "5000 CPU's", and certainly could to be clear without violating an NDA at that time, but I guess I shouldn't expect so much. You may be right...and without the necessary initialization code almost certainly won't work for OP even with a discrete GPU put in.

ADDED:
If paying more for this is an issue for OP he might be able to get AMD to help with a loaner CPU if the program's still running: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105 .

And BTW if reading the faq and you wonder, AMD considers a 5600G a "5000 series desktop processor". Scroll down to the list of processors.

Last edited: