Question Asrock B550AM Gaming mobo -- I upgraded to Ryzen 7 5800X & now it won't boot ?

Mar 13, 2023
Asrock B550am gaming
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
48 GB Ballistix DDR 4 ram
Ryzen 7 3800x (orig cpu)

Computer was running fine. I installed a brand new Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. System would not boot. Lights come on fans run for about 10 to 15 seconds then the system shuts down and does the same thing over and over but never boots.

I checked my connections, made sure the CPU fan power was connected correctly to the mobo, cleared the CMOS according to the instructions, re-seated the ram, checked the processor pins for damage, I even reinstalled the old processor, and it still does the same thing.

it feels like I've screwed something up. I just have no idea what it could be. I've done this dozens of times over the years and honestly have never had an issue like this. I'm scratching my head. Any ideas?

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Asrock B550am gaming
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Ryzen 7 3800x (orig cpu)

Computer was running fine. I installed a brand new Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. System would not boot. Lights come on fans run for about 10 to 15 seconds then the system shuts down and does the same thing over and over but never boots.

I checked my connections, made sure the CPU fan power was connected correctly to the mobo, cleared the CMOS according to the instructions, re-seated the ram, checked the processor pins for damage, I even reinstalled the old processor, and it still does the same thing.

it feels like I've screwed something up. I just have no idea what it could be. I've done this dozens of times over the years and honestly have never had an issue like this. I'm scratching my head. Any ideas?

Did you do a BIOS update?
Before installing the new CPU

Asrock B550am gaming
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Ryzen 7 3800x (orig cpu)

What was the previous CPU? As mentioned, 5000 series support wasn't baked in. You had to update the bios.

Also what psu do you have? I seriously doubt it's the issue but it's always good to check. Give us make and model.

Mar 13, 2023
What was the previous CPU? As mentioned, 5000 series support wasn't baked in. You had to update the bios.

Also what psu do you have? I seriously doubt it's the issue but it's always good to check. Give us make and model.

not sure of the brand of psu but it is an 800 watt.

Is it even possible to update the bios at this point?

As others have said, you need to update the motherboards BIOS before it will run the 5800x. Is this your motherboard ASRock | B550M Phantom Gaming 4 ? If it is, unfortunately it does not have BIOS Flash so you will have to reinsert your 3800x in order to update the BIOS. If you have never done a BIOS update before, research it and watch as many videos as you can until you are 100% comfortable with the procedure as you can brick your board if done incorrectly.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran