[SOLVED] ASROCK B550m Pro 4, Back and Forth Between POST and No POST. What is the root cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2020
The title is the TL;DR.

I built a system a few weeks ago and everything was working fine. I used it for a few days and was very excited with the results. No overclocking, I did a stress test. CPU was 64 degrees Celsius under 100% load. Very normal. One day, I boot it up and it does not post. The code on the Mobo says CPU. I have no way of verifying that without buying a new Mobo so I take it to a mom and pop shop (only place around where I live) because I read 9/10 times its the Mobo. The shop said they did not have the resources to test what is was, but they suspected it was a rare CPU failure because the Mobo seemed to be working.

I bought the CPU at a microcenter (just learned about that magical place). Where I am at, I had to drive over state lines to the nearest microcenter and now with COVID-19 restrictions, I am strongly advised not to leave the state lines. I saw that my parents have a microcenter near them in the state so I visit and help them out with their computer stuff. I drive to microcenter with my computer hoping to see about getting the CPU replaced. Lo and Behold, the darn things boots like nothing was wrong. Weird but Cool! So I take it home and use it for a week. Just now, I turn it on and no POST, Mobo light says CPU.

What is going on? If it were truly a CPU issue, I would imagine I would never get it to POST again, but they ran some tests at microcenter and said everything looks fine. I have not tried updating the BIOS because I am scared the power will go out. I am unlucky that way. I am hoping Santa brings me a UPS for Christmas to take away that fear but would updating the BIOS be the solution?

Thank you for your help in advance!

System Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo RGB
Mobo: Asrock B550m Pro 4
Ram: Gskill 3200 8gb x 2
M.2: Crucial P1 500gb
GPU: EVGA 1050 (old I know, but it works)
Power Supply: EVGA 750w BQ semi-modular

Status
Not open for further replies.