Question ASRock B550M PRO4 motherboard + Ryzen 5600, do I need a bios update for the cpu?

FlorinB

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Hello, I'm planning to buy a B550M PRO4 motherboard + Ryzen 5600, do I need a bios update or are the chances that I might get this type of motherboard with an older bios really low in 2023? Need to mention that I don't have an older Ryzen cpu to update the bios. Has anyone encountered problems with this combo recently regarding bios?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I'm planning to buy a B550M PRO4 motherboard + Ryzen 5600, do I need a bios update or are the chances that I might get this type of motherboard with an older bios really low in 2023? Need to mention that I don't have an older Ryzen cpu to update the bios. Has anyone encountered problems with this combo recently regarding bios?
To determine this you look at the CPU support page -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M Pro4/index.asp#CPU That tells you that you need BIOS P2.30 That BIOS was released in March of 2022 (a year ago). If you bought your motherboard from a large retailer then it is unlikely to have a BIOS older than what is required. You probably don't need a BIOS update to support the CPU. I would recommend you DO an update as part of your initial build.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's definitely not a guarantee though. There should be a sticker somewhere on the motherboard when you open it that tells you what BIOS version it has. One problem is that given the slowdown in overall CPU sales and a new generation coming out, I'm not sure they're churning out a ton of new b550 motherboards at this point; companies don't exactly make their exact inventory public in most cases.