Question Asrock b550m pro4 red mobo boot light on, no display?

Killah1435

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
Recently I upgraded to a 3070 and ryzen 9 5950x and all seemed great, temps were great, everything was running fine, been a couple months now since upgrading, went to make dinner last night and I came back to my pc at the AsRock logo boot screen. I thought nothing of it so I pressed the restart button on my case and now I get nothing from my pc but the red boot light on the mobo is on, no display, no boot logo, just power through the mobo, case and fans. I'm at a complete loss, I've tried replacing every cord for the drives, Ive tried taking the gpu out and using the onboard graphics, ive tried one by one plugging in each hdd/ssd, moving ram to different slots, using one monitor instead of two, removing the battery for a couple minutes. Any ideas?

Current specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x Old cpu: Ryzen 3 3100x
Motherboard: Asrock B550m PRO4
Ram: Gskill ripjaws 32gb ddr4 3200
SSD/HDD: 2x Western digital 3tbs, Samsung 120gb ssd, Samsung 980 nvme
GPU: Rtx 3070 Old GPU: 1070 founder edition
PSU: Evga supernova 750w gold
Chassis: Nzxt phantom 410 full
Monitor: Lg Ultragear 1440p

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. As for your platform, you stated undergoing through an upgrade, what did you upgrade from?

Unfortunately if the BIOS on the motherboard is corrupt, there's no way to do anything off the board as your board lacks BIOSFlashBack/FlashBIOS or a CrashFree BIOS option. If it indeed is that your BIOS went south, you're going to need a CH341A BIOS programming toolkit to reflash your BIOS chip.

If the processor is what conked out, take the CPU and drop it into a known working motherboard with the right BIOS version to see if your Ryzen 9 5950x chip is functional. You might want to drop your older CPU and see if the system revives.

using the onboard graphics,
FYI, the processor you dropped in later, doesn't have an iGPU meaning your efforts to plug into the rear of the motherboard off it's display output ports, was futile/moot = you won't get display out from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killah1435

Killah1435

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
Happy New Year!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. As for your platform, you stated undergoing through an upgrade, what did you upgrade from?

Unfortunately if the BIOS on the motherboard is corrupt, there's no way to do anything off the board as your board lacks BIOSFlashBack/FlashBIOS or a CrashFree BIOS option. If it indeed is that your BIOS went south, you're going to need a CH341A BIOS programming toolkit to reflash your BIOS chip.

If the processor is what conked out, take the CPU and drop it into a known working motherboard with the right BIOS version to see if your Ryzen 9 5950x chip is functional. You might want to drop your older CPU and see if the system revives.

FYI, the processor you dropped in later, doesn't have an iGPU meaning your efforts to plug into the rear of the motherboard off it's display output ports, was futile/moot = you won't get display out from them.
Happy New Year!

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Thanks for the quick reply, updated my post with my specs, gonna try popping the cpu into another motherboard at some point, I find it strange I cant find any other post about the red boot light being the only one that is a constant on.

Killah1435

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
Alright got all the parts out of the case, base parts (psu, gpu, cpu, mobo and ram) and no drives hooked up and still powers on just the same, red boot mobo error light still turns on and still no display.

Last edited:

Killah1435

Honorable
Oct 28, 2016
Alright with it in skeleton mode and old cpu in, it posts and went to a screen saying cpu has changed, Y to reset fTPM or N to keep previous, does this mean its a cpu issue?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023
Hi, have you tried change the mobo,
and use with the 5950x?
I have similar problem. Same mobo (asrock b550m pro4) , but mine with 5600x. Works fine for a couple months, but suddenly it just boot red light no signal on monitor.
I wonder is it mobo problem or cpu problem.