Review ASRock B650E Taichi Review: ‘Infinite Potential’ for B650

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
AMD naming scheme is annoying. They have the motherboards on nearly same generation as Intel, with only the second digit differing. I always have trouble remembering when reading the titles/first paragraph whether what I am looking at is an Intel board or AMD. Intel boards are B660 vs this B650. I guess it is cheaper to copy marketing of competitor than come up with your own and Intel is the king of coming up with 100s of SKU off a single design... Maximizing revenue

Also I find the AMD CPU and GPU naming is horrendous. We have a 7900X and a 7900XTX! AMD needs to simplify and do a better job of differentiating their offerings... The pre identifier doesn't help much, R3,R5,R7,R9 or RX for GPU. Half the time I am reading a rumor article talking about future AMD products, it takes me a good while to figure out is this a GPU or a CPU they are talking about. Then there is the mess of their mobile cpu decoder... Intel simplified on 12th gen since the disaster of 11th gen naming and is removing old branding (Celeron and Pentium). Would be nice if AMD could follow suite and improve in this department,

Reactions: Why_Me

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
There it is! I think this one is for me!
I want to upgrade my CPU this coming year, and really want to go with Zen 4, but motherboard prices have been a huge turnoff. Almost everything under $500 seems like a downgrade from my X570 ACE. But this has the features I already have, plus everything I want and a little more. Still expensive, but only 10% more expensive than my ACE, and is within my budget. I like it...

I've always shied away from ASRock, and I honestly have no idea why. I've had lots of good experiences with ASUS and MSI boards (and multiple bad experiences with GIGABYTE), so I guess I just stuck with what worked and haven't gone out of my comfort zone. Time to change that.
I need those 11 USB Type-A + USB4 and 3 M.2 slots. The high-end audio is a huge plus for me, as are the QoL features like power/reset/CMOS/BIOS-flash buttons and a digital debug code. The cherry on top is the really snazzy appearance.
I wish it had just one more M.2 slot... but I can live with that sacrifice. And I suppose I could buy an adapter card for the lower PCI slot. My graphics card won't mind running at x8.

Thanks so much for this review, Joe. And whoever made this the banner headline this morning. :) You helped me figure out the missing link in my upcoming build.
One question - it's hard to tell from the photos... is the chipset cover with the gears just a sticker? Or are those gears actually three-dimensional?

Status
Not open for further replies.