Question ASRock B660 PRO RS + Gigabyte Geforce 3070 TI gives black screen on boot ?

Nov 29, 2022
I've just assembled a new rig with all new components and am getting a black screen on boot. The MB shows the VGA + Boot LEDs for a short while and then they go out, but nothing ever shows on my monitor with either the MB output or the GPU output. Here's the full specs of my build:

• ASRock B660 PRO RS
  • Intel i5 12600
  • Gigabyte Geforce 3070 ti
  • CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W PS
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooling Fan
  • WD Blue SA510 SATA SSD 1TB
  • Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
I've quadruple checked all connections and seatings. The 850W PS should be sufficient for everything. If I disconnect the power from the GPU everything fires up just fine and I was even able to fight my way through a Windows installation onto one of the SSDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is the only thing keeping me from enjoying my new build.

Nov 29, 2022
You can try a BIOS update: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B660 Pro RS/index.asp#BIOS

If you put it on the second PCI slot does something different?

Unfortunately no dice.

I forgot to mention a few other things I tried before posting last night:
  • Updated the bios to 12.03
  • Moved the GPU to the second PCIe slot
  • Separate 8-pin and daisy-chained 8-pin PSU connections, but in both cases using the daisy chain-style cables if that's relevant
  • CMOS reset (multiple times)

The GPU does initially turn on and the fans spin, but after the PSC lights go out the fans stop spinning.

Nov 18, 2022
First try to acces the bios and make sure that the primary display is on gpu graphics
bios image
if it does not work:

If you have acces to another pc you should try the gpu there. If the other pc has a cheap or not powerful PSU is ok, it will only draw a bit of power. Let it only post and see if something shows up on the screen. If nothing shows up in about 10s, you can assume the GPU is bad and you can RMA it.

Also, if you have another GPU arround, try it on your new pc and see if it works. If the old "known good gpu" works, then you got a bad GPU and you will have to RMA it.

Nov 29, 2022
First try to acces the bios and make sure that the primary display is on gpu graphics
bios image

Unfortunately I can't get into the bios when the gpu has the power cables connected, but this is what I see when I disconnect and boot into the bios. Auto is selected. Bios GPU Disconnected

I did have a big brain moment and set the primary to "Onboard" which let me get into the bios with the GPU connected. This is what I see. Bios GPU Connected. However, if I select "PCIE1" and restart I get the same issue as when "Auto" is selected.

if it does not work:

If you have acces to another pc you should try the gpu there. If the other pc has a cheap or not powerful PSU is ok, it will only draw a bit of power. Let it only post and see if something shows up on the screen. If nothing shows up in about 10s, you can assume the GPU is bad and you can RMA it.

Also, if you have another GPU arround, try it on your new pc and see if it works. If the old "known good gpu" works, then you got a bad GPU and you will have to RMA it.

I'm hoping I can get my son to bring his computer from his mother's tonight so I can test both scenarios out. In the meantime I've ordered a new motherboard and am going to do the same with the graphics card. If I end up sorting it out before they arrive then I'll just return the duplicates.

Reactions: Jirkey
Nov 29, 2022
I sorted it out and it's a face-palm issue. My monitors defaulted with Freesync turned on. I ran across a post on ASRock's forums about turning it off fixing the issue. Guess what? Turning it off fixes my issue. I guess I can send the new motherboard and GPU back when they arrive.

Reactions: Jirkey