Question AsRock B760 RAM compatibility Kingston

Feb 9, 2023
I have a dilemma, my motherboard came with the 1.08 version of bios and i have a Kingston RAM, on their website at Kingston memories is written version 2.01. Can i use that memory without flashing a new bios or it won't work?
it is awkward because a lot of the memories on the Pro Rs support table have 2.01 at bios column...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Processor you're looking to pair with that motherboard and ram combo? Can you please pass on a link to the exact motherboard you're looking at? As for the rams, please pass on the link to the ram as well.

Feb 9, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Processor you're looking to pair with that motherboard and ram combo? Can you please pass on a link to the exact motherboard you're looking at? As for the rams, please pass on the link to the ram as well.

I have already bought them I5-13500 + mobo:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B760 Pro RS/index.asp#MemoryRPL
And the RAM is on shipping:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-4800MHz-Desktop-Memory-KF548C38BB-16/dp/B09KCMKL9Z

The version of the motherboard is 1.08 and the Kingston memories on the support table have 2.01 in the bios column, will mine work without update?

Lutfij

Titan
If their own Memory QVL for the 13th Gen shows that it works on BIOS version 2.01, then you need BIOS version 2.01. You could prove us and them wrong by sending an email out to them and maybe hope that they will respond with a "will work with BIOS version 1.08". I had an A85X-itx board with BIOS version P1.20 in spite of their QVL stating that I will need BIOS version P1.50 in order for the A10-6800K to optimally work. I looked all over the www, getting no answer, sent an email out to ASRock, they got back to me in 24 hours with a screenshot of the APU working on BIOS version P1.20.

Reactions: ryhn
You are probably ok.

Motherboard bios updates will often be of the "improve ram compatibility" nature.
That does not mean that what you bought will not work.
Ram will usually boot at default speeds to let you get into the bios.

It is best to ask questions BEFORE you buy.
In your case, you would have been advised to buy a dual channel kit, not a single 16gb module. Perhaps you can return it unopened for a dual channel kit.

Reactions: ryhn
Feb 9, 2023
You are probably ok.

Motherboard bios updates will often be of the "improve ram compatibility" nature.
That does not mean that what you bought will not work.
Ram will usually boot at default speeds to let you get into the bios.

It is best to ask questions BEFORE you buy.
In your case, you would have been advised to buy a dual channel kit, not a single 16gb module. Perhaps you can return it unopened for a dual channel kit.

The problem is that in my country there aren't many of the RAM modules from the motherboard site, most of what you can find is Kingston and are a little bit expensive even for 8 GB, i bought a 16gb module for an eventually future update to 32 gb when they will lower the prices a bit

Feb 9, 2023
If their own Memory QVL for the 13th Gen shows that it works on BIOS version 2.01, then you need BIOS version 2.01. You could prove us and them wrong by sending an email out to them and maybe hope that they will respond with a "will work with BIOS version 1.08". I had an A85X-itx board with BIOS version P1.20 in spite of their QVL stating that I will need BIOS version P1.50 in order for the A10-6800K to optimally work. I looked all over the www, getting no answer, sent an email out to ASRock, they got back to me in 24 hours with a screenshot of the APU working on BIOS version P1.20.

In fact i sent them the issue two days ago, but i got no answer yet, that's why i came to ask here, because the RAM module will arrive today and i want to build the PC

Feb 9, 2023
So they answered to me and they said that the memory was tested on the 2.01 version of the bios, but it should work fine on 1.08, but for good performance i should update after installing

Reactions: Why_Me and Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
To bring one point across, the BIOS version stated across that chart might be very well for optimal performance, I don't think the board would have a prerequisite for rm to work at default (JEDEC, baseline) speeds. Just an FYI, the speeds you're looking at are overclocked speeds, meaning you key in the speeds or toggle a radio button to enable the profile for the overclock on the ram. Out of the box, X.M.P will not be enabled.