Question Asrock deskmini a300 stopped working

t.mate9811

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
After i installed intel ac9260 to it, it not turned on. Later i noticed that a strange electric sound coming from it. Now i figured out where it comes from. If i touch it with a screwdriver, it is louder. Is it fixable? Don't want RMA because i bought it from Germany and i live in Hungary.
XFdZPMq.jpg

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It sounds like there might be a short. Are you sure you installed the intel wifi module correctly? Nothing contacting another part of the board where it shouldn't be?

Is the sound coming from the ac9260, or elsewhere? What part are you touching with the screwdriver?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I bought the A300W - according to ASRock, that includes the Intel AC-3168 M.2 wifi kit. I remember the cables being very awkward to connect to the wifi module, and made sure to attach them BEFORE I plugged the wifi unit into the board.

I am wondering if something struck or touched that bit while installing, and that's why it's an issue. I don't know what it is, though.

I was going to also ask why you went with the AC9260, but I doubt the different model would make a difference or not work with the MB for some reason.

I'm kind of at a loss to guess what might have happened.

t.mate9811

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
It was working with the motherboard. First i only installed the module, only later tried the antenna cables. I tried attach them before installing to mobo, but every time the cable disconnected. I bought only a300, w model not available in EU. The ac9260 is the best price/ratio module, this is why i chose it.

Thank you for your replies.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah, I understand - I actually wanted one without the wifi, but that's not available in the US. Later I was actually glad to have the wifi.

Before I assembled, I had read that it's much better to attach the antenna wires prior to inserting the wifi module. For me, it was EXTREMELY difficult to get them fully seated, and I struggled with it for about 15-20 minutes. It required a lot of pressure to get them to finally snap into place with the particular module that was included with the A300W, and I never would have been able to do it while installed on the MB.

I just wish I had more useful and helpful information for you.