Build Advice ASRock DeskMini x300 - cooling of M2 SSD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2023
Hi,

I'm building a small project for light / casual gaming based on an ASRock DeskMini x300 and I've few questions to finalize it.

For now, I've already the following components installed inside :
  • Ryzen 3 2200G
  • Noctua noctua NH-L9a-AM4 which I set in the BIOS to run as standard (as opposed to quiet)
  • Kingston NV2 NVMe PCIe 4.0, SSD 1 To
  • G.Skill Ripjaws F4-3200C22D-16GRS (2x8GB)
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 M.2 non vPro

What I've but still to install :
  • 2 x Delock Antenna Cable RP-SMA jack bulkhead ferrite core to MHF (10cm)
  • 2 x Delock WLAN 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n Antenna RP-SMA plug 4 - 5 dBi omnidirectional with tilt joint
  • 5600G to replace the current 2200G

The 1TB M2 SSD contains Win 10 and will be used to run most of the programs. I wanted to add a SSD heatsink and was thinking to pick the be quiet! MC1 PRO but after some readings, it seems that it'll not fit with the Noctua due to its screws.

My first questions are :
  1. Is a heatsink necessary ?
  2. If so, which one would be adequate for my install and can be installed alongside the Noctua ? I've seen Alphacool HDX M2 SSD M1 or Gelid Solution Subzero M2 SSD but maybe there are better options.

I've also the intention to add a second SSD with a capacity of 2TB. The goal will be to store the games on it.
I'm thinking to use the M2 slot at the back but it'll not be possible to add a heatsink (not enough space).

So my other questions :
  1. Will cooling be required on this one ?
  2. If so, how to do it ? I read somewhere that using a 3mm thermal pad would be enough to make the contact with the back plate in aluminium and dissipate the heat. Would this be sufficient ?

Last question : in order to apply the thermal pads on the SSD's, should I first remove the sticker ? I read that some say yes and some yes no as these stickers are designed to dissimate the heat.

Best regards,
K.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The heatsink isn't necessary. Why? Since the board will only go up to PCIe 3.0x4 speeds;
https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini X300 Series/index.asp#Specification
so your investment is moot with this platform. If you to drop the PCIe 4.0x4 SSD onto another capable platform(that will go to PCIe 4.0 speeds) then that investment isn't moot.

With regards to the motherboard, you will need to update the BIOS to the latest A.G.E.S.A 1.2.0.7 code in order to drop that APU in. You don't need to be on the latest but it wouldn't hurt to be on the latest version.

Per your SSD question, it's best you don't reverse engineer anything. Work with a 2.5" SSD and call it a day.

Reactions: Kid_E
Jan 5, 2023
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure my BIOS is 1.70, so I should be good.
I prefer not to upgrade to 1.80 for now since it's a Beta BIOS.

English is not my native language and I've to admit that I did not get your last point :

Per your SSD question, it's best you don't reverse engineer anything.

I don't get what shall (not) be reverse engineered.

Lutfij

Titan
I prefer not to upgrade to 1.80 for now since it's a Beta BIOS.
It's A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.7, you should be good regardless, if you're not comfortable, I won't advise you to go ahead, as it's your build, not mine. All I can do is suggest.

I had to find the manual for your build;
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X300M-STX.pdf
your motherboard in the chassis can support 2xM.2 SSD's. I was confused into thinking you were thinking of adapting the 2x2.5" SSD's locations for an M.2 drive adapter. Which is what I was stating as reverse engineering(adapting an M.2 SSD for a SATA port).

You're good to go with anything from Crucial, Klevv, Samsung, Adata, Transcend or Kingston, so long as the drive is PCIe 3.0x4

English is not my native language
Where are you located?

Reactions: azzamsa
Jan 5, 2023
I'm in BE.
Thanks for the explanations.
So you think that a 2nd SSD M2 on the back would be fine, even if no heatsink can be attached to it ?
Also, a PCIe 4.0 x 4 is retro-compatible with M2 PCIe 3.0 port, this is what I'm doing with my current SSD.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023
Small update regarding my build :
I've installed 2 SSD's M2.
I've returned the wifi card I had + the cablee. The seller sold me the wrong cables (Ipex-1 instead of Ipex-4). I've then ordered the official Wifi kit. Tough to plug the wires but in the end it worked.
I've also removed the official 2 USB slots expansion. Cable management is horrific. If I need extra ports at some point I'll rather use a hub.

M.2 devices generate heat when under sustained sequential operations. Think a virus scan.
If they get too hot, they slow down until the situation stabilizes.
No harm will come.
Under normal random i/o, there will be no heat issue.
It always helps if there is at least a bit of air movement over the motherboard.

Reactions: Kid_E
Status
Not open for further replies.