AsRock Extreme 3 Gen3 + Scythe Mugen 3 + Corsair Vengeance RAM?

theBill

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

I have asked this question in a different forum category, and have moved it here - hopefully I will get an answer, I'm a bit confused because after surfing the net I found opposing answers, some say yes, some no, and I don't really have a clue.

I purchased Corsair Vengance high profile RAM and only now I have read, that high profile RAM-s won't fit with the Scythe Mugen 3 Rev. B cooler because of the size of the cooler - it covers some of the RAM space. I got an answer to put RAM in first and then the CPU cooler.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/c [...] n-3_3.html

I found this review of the Mugen 3 on the net, and according to the pictures it would be better to mount the cooler turned for 90 degrees, so that the fan is blowing air upwards instead of backwards. In this cooler position there should be at least two free slots for high-profile Corsair Vengeance RAM-s. Is my prediction correct and it will fit together, or am I wrong? Is there another way to combine 2 x 4 GB of high profile Corsair Vengeance RAM and Scythe Mugen 3 rev. B on the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard?

Thanks for all your answers in advance.

theBill

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
If anybody has the same question, now after putting the computer together I have got the answers - Mugen 3 + Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 fits in a case Cooler Master Silencio 550, just barely, but it fits.

I've switched the side panels, so that the one that is originally ment for covering the CPU cooler (with more insulation mat) is covering the cabels, and the one with less insulation mat is now covering the CPU cooler - the cooler heatpipes aren't even touching the insulation mat! I could have also cut the insulation mat on the original side panel out (on the place where Mugen 3 has its 12 heatpipes), and it would also fit, but it was a lot easier to just switch the side panels.

Also Mugen 3 and high profile RAM are compatible - you just have to put the fan on the other side of the CPU cooler, so that it is sucking the air throuht the cooler instead of pushing it throught.

Thanks for all the help.