Asrock Extreme4 Z77 Rig powers off when trying to boot

Chillburger

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hello everyone,

I've been running an Asrock Extreme4 Z77 rig with an i7 3770K since July of this year. For the most part, it's been pretty stable, but i did have some weird RAM issues that were resolved by a bios update.

Today, when I came home from school, I attemped to boot up my PC. The case LEDs, case fans, CPU fans and GPU fans would all come on for about two seconds, then the system would lose all power.

Upon inspection, I checked for shorts in the motherboard mounting and found nothing. I removed all components (hard drives, GPUs, RAM) and have been testing the system outside of my case on a cardboard box for now.

The system continues to exhibit the same behavior with only the CPU, one hard drive and one stick of ram plugged in, with no chance for a short. I did the paper clip test on the PSU and it seems to be working.

After all of this testing, I am probably going to conclude that it is a mother board issue, since it seems to be the root of the issue. Has anyone had issues with this particular motherboard exhibiting this behavior? What do you think could be causing this?

Thanks for checking my post!

robax91

Distinguished
Don't count out a PSU problem. It could be sending the wrong amount of power on the motherboard rail. Is it modular? If it is (like mine) you have to really push that plug in for a stable power connection. That would be a shame if it came down to a mobo failure so soon. Try all your options before returning/replacing. Good luck.

Chillburger

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
My Current Rig:
Asrock Extreme4 Z77
i7 3770K
ThermalTake Frio
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
G Skill 8GB 1600MHZ RAM
PowerColor AMD 5850
Samsung 840 250GB

I would think because the paper clip test is working, that the PSU is okay. But it is around 3 years old. I would not think it was going bad already.

Sounds normal, so what's causing it to fail after few seconds with the mobo connected... either a short on the board or the PSU failing under load. What make your PSU? No easy diagnosis, even with a meter it's hard to tell if the fault lies with mobo or PSU f there's a short involved.

Chillburger

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I had tried the motherboard outside of the case, and I got the same results. So I don't think it's an issue with a short. It could very well be an issue with the PSU under load, I'm going to try to get my hands on a spare psu tonight and test it out.

Sounds like a plan!