ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer No Longer Boots (long story)

Mycah142

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
So, playing a game with a friend, suddenly a bluescreen. Ok, haven't had one in a long time, but OK. So I let it restart. And thus beings the problems.

It restarts, posts, starts windows, then right after "Starting Windows" stays on for it's usual time, I see a flash of blue and then it reboots itself. It does this endlessly, I let it do this about three or four times, enough to catch that it was bluescreening immediately upon Starting Windows, but not enough to see what the problem was.

So I get finicky, shut down and disable the power, and start checking to make sure everything is seated properly. After that, I boot it back up. It works! Huzzah! Then I opened Google Chrome.

And it froze in place. Well crap. Reboot, tried Chrome again. Froze. Ok. Reboot in Safe Mode, try Chrome. Froze. Alright, so it's Chrome! Reboot in Safemode, uninstall Chrome, go to Internet Explorer, works fine, go to download Chrome, do so, then it locks up just as it's about to finish installing Chrome.

Ok. Back in Safe Mode, start doing some research on Internet Explorer, then it starts getting really slow, till it eventually locks up as well. Ok. Restart, blank everything, three quick beeps. Research on phone, RAM fault. Ok. Reseat RAM cards, boot. Seems to be fine.

Determined maybe it's the drivers to my wireless card. Uninstall the wireless card driver, realize "oh I can't get a new one without internet stupid me" and ran an ethernet cable to the computer. No biggie. Ethernet port has no drivers either (Checked Device Manager). Ok.... research, find BIOS update, and s'more drivers for the onboard stuff that were updated.

Cool, I'll do that. Start the BIOS update using the supplied windows .exe file on the ASRock website, the 1.50 version. About ten minutes in, it's still doin'.. somethin', erasing files I guess to replace. Then my whole house flickers. Oh god was that a brownout?

Ohgodno. Computer reboots itself, beeps twice. Try to reboot it myself. Beeps twice. Nononononono.

Clear CMOS multiple ways, take out all my hard drives, boot, two beeps. Created a USB flash drive with a bootable DOS on it, with the DOS version of the BIOS, and the Instant Flash version of the same bios, boot up, two beeps.

I apologize that this was long, but this is a series of unfortunate events that lead me to think that I have a dead motherboard, and I would like to see if anyone else agrees. This is only my second computer I have built, and it's lasted me a year. I've never had a motherboard die on me.

As far as Specs,

Windows 7
ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
AMD FX-8320E Vishera 8-Core 3.2GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W
MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2gb GPU
About four various hard drives.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Unplug the addditional drives, all but the OS drive, and try booting to Safe Mode with networking , if you can to Safe mode, go to command Prompt as Administrator and run the command SFC /SCANNOW this is Windows System File Checker. While it runs download the latest versions of all the mobo drivers. Can also run both a Virus and a MMalware scan (malwareBytes has a free version)