Question Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac audio driver search?!

Jun 7, 2019
Hi guys

I posted a thread about a year ago (in italics at the bottom of this post) about how the audio jacks on this motherboard not making a sound. You'll see from my post last year that I've checked everything I can think of, and that Realtek Audio Control shows the green sound bar lighting up, but no sound through my speakers. As I said in that post, it points towards me not getting the correct audio driver, despite going via the Asrock motherboard page...

Please can anyone help on this? Has anyone ever had an issue where the actual correct audio driver was not the one recommended on the mobo manufacturers website? Could it be the BIOS needs updating or reversing? (never done anything like and use this PC for work and worried it will crock the whole thing which works brilliantly in every other way!)

I really need the speakers to pull sound from the mobo now (not the monitor through HDMI as they are currently).

Thank you for any input whatsoever!

Gav.

POSTED 7th June 2019
Please, can someone help as I'm pulling my hair out!

I recently built my first PC on the Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard & Ryzen (3 2200G) with a clean install of Win 10 Pro (OEM version) etc. It's purred ever since I fired it all up and my Bluetooth headphones have worked like a charm since I first tried them (and still do).

However, I recently got some Creative Pebble Plus speakers as part of the finishing touches to my set up but cannot for the life in me get any sound through them from the PC. I've checked everything I can think of:

• the wire from speakers is plugged into the lime coloured port on the rear panel (according to the mobo manual)
  • nothing is muted
  • default device is set properly
  • checked speakers work (using my mobile)
  • checked headphones work on mobile (they do) but these also get nothing when wired into the PC
  • checked BIOS has audio enabled (I think it was under 'south bridge configuration' - over my head, but I followed a post on here if I recall)
Then, I realised that the audio driver was a Microsoft one. Thinking I'd cracked it, I then installed the appropriate Realtek audio driver from the specific Asrock download page for my specific mobo (meaning it is the latest ALC1220 codec - checked many times!), but... nothing.

The rear panel port is not fried because when I plug the speakers it makes a short static noise for a moment (as speakers tend to when being plugged in) and in the Realtek Audio Control app it lights up the lime port (and goes out when I remove). Also, when music is playing (on say YouTube or Google Play etc) the little green equalizer in 'Manage audio devices' shows up so it seems the issue is purely around the driver/ mobo connecting the sounds to the speakers??

I am at an absolute loss after spending two days trying out different drivers (being honest, it took me until this morning to actually locate the driver on the Asrock mobo page!), going round in circles doing the above list over and over, restart after restart but nothing seems to work... I've read countless posts on here and other places about issues with Realtek drivers etc but only a couple were exactly like my issue (albeit on different mobos), but the solutions they found don't seem to apply (rolling back driver update & somehow not using the Sound Blaster Audigy that my mobo comes with - no idea what this even means tbh).

Any help would be seriously appreciated - anyone else suffering with a similar issue?

Thanks
Gav

RealBeast

Titan
Did you download the Realtek high definition audio driver ver:8750.1_UAD_WHQL_SBC5 from HERE?

There is a note that "This download contains only the driver package, the Realtek Audio Control will be downloaded via Microsoft store when an internet connection is available" with details HERE.

So the driver is on their site but you get the audio control panel from the MS app shop. Seems odd, but have you tried that yet, perhaps through updating the driver in the Device Manager to the ASRock driver?

Jun 7, 2019
Did you download the Realtek high definition audio driver ver:8750.1_UAD_WHQL_SBC5 from HERE?

There is a note that "This download contains only the driver package, the Realtek Audio Control will be downloaded via Microsoft store when an internet connection is available" with details HERE.

So the driver is on their site but you get the audio control panel from the MS app shop. Seems odd, but have you tried that yet, perhaps through updating the driver in the Device Manager to the ASRock driver?

Thanks for this, I'll try that today - I think I did do this but will double-check and report back...

Jun 7, 2019
Do you have a front audio port in the case? Does that work for sound?

Almost sounds like it's not a software/firmware issue, but an actual physical hardware issue, like the port itself is bunk.

Not had chance to come back until today, sorry, I wasn't expecting replies so soon as its been such a pain of an issue!

I'll try that later today after finishing work and report back - thanks mate...

Jun 7, 2019
Not had chance to come back until today, sorry, I wasn't expecting replies so soon as its been such a pain of an issue!

I'll try that later today after finishing work and report back - thanks mate...

Just double checked I'm not going blind... there is defnitely no front audio port on the case so can't check that. But, i agree it might be some physical issue, especially considering I'm relatively new to building and setting up PCs. Audio jack for speakers is in the front speaker port on the back panel (lime green) as advised by the manual.

Just reinstalling all mobo drivers from Asrock website but don't think it'll make any difference to be honest. No idea what to do!

Appreciate you trying though. G

Jun 7, 2019

Hi again - yes, I had done by the looks of it, but I just did it all over again (after uninstalling everything). I also reinstalled all the relevant drivers from the motherboards page at Asrock.

No sound playing when plugged into the correct port for this mobo, but static and a blipping sound when plugged in and out of the other ports (which I know are incorrect) but it all appears to be alive! Just not working for the speaker sound.

When I go into the sound settings in Win 10 the green bar equaliser is working.

I'm totally lost with this. Any other ideas or troubleshooting that could narrow it down more?

Appreciate any input and thanks so far.
G

Stupid question, but do you have it set as your primary default audio device in the sound control panel?

When you right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select menu:Open Volume Mixer what does it show as the audio device selected?

Some Realtek drivers will force you to select what you want the port to do after you plug in. This is because the input ports can be reconfigured for surround sound output. The sound will not turn on till you select the purpose of said audio jack.

If all else fails, try the audio trouble shooter which will reset/reinstall the drivers and then have you reboot windows.

Not to rub it in, but I have this MB with a 2400g and I have no such issues. But I have since converted it to a NAS server and don't need sound.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
Stupid question, but do you have it set as your primary default audio device in the sound control panel?

When you right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select menu:Open Volume Mixer what does it show as the audio device selected?

Some Realtek drivers will force you to select what you want the port to do after you plug in. This is because the input ports can be reconfigured for surround sound output. The sound will not turn on till you select the purpose of said audio jack.

If all else fails, try the audio trouble shooter which will reset/reinstall the drivers and then have you reboot windows.

Not to rub it in, but I have this MB with a 2400g and I have no such issues. But I have since converted it to a NAS server and don't need sound.

Nothing is a stupid question on this one... yes, pretty sure I've checked that about 1000 times!

I've uninstalled all Realtek drivers and the audio console. I'm going to power down and double-check that the mobo connections all looks normal.

EDIT: Just realised that the rear panel ports don't have connectors! Clutching at straws, I am.

I built this computer about a year ago (can't remember exactly when) so I very much doubt I'd have any warranty left.

This is more a point of principle! I can get sound via HDMI through the monitor but am intent on solving this.

Last edited: