ASRock FATAL1TY vs ASUS ROG Z68

Solution
(Ivy Bridge / IB) Postponed release date of June/July then if you have any sense you should wait until August/September before purchasing. IMO let the Guinea Pigs work out all of the bugs and at least 2 BIOS revisions.

There's a lot of crapola in this post; data is available and people either choose to read the overlapping data or ignore it. I'm an LGA 1366/LGA 2011 guy myself and I've built plenty P67/Z68, but I have no agenda on LGA 1155 other than 'what it is or isn't' the data is there.

Intel has been in the past pushed into Tick Tock by AMD, and just since LGA 1155 release there have been so many missteps (B2, disabling cores SB-E, VT/d C1) that I hope they cool their jets and focus on quality and slow things down.

For...

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Well, we can say X or Y is, but the main thing you need to do when picking a motherboard is look at it's compatibility FOR YOU. How many video cards do you have, how many PCI-e slots do you need? Do you need USB 3.0 (or plan on upgrading to use it), how many HDD/SSDs and what speed (3, 6 gbps). Do you need RAID options, etc etc.

After you make a list of WHAT you need in a motherboard, then usually 1 stands out among all others and you know which to get.

Personally, I only buy certain brands that have longevity (like an ASUS or Gigabyte), so on a personal scale, I say the ASUS, because they have longevity, excellent customer service, multiple BIOS updates, driver updates and all that. ASRock, not so established. In 5 years or so, I might look at ASRock as a contender (if they are still here). Just like I'd never buy a Kia over a Toyota. They may be cars, but Toyota has proven itself for the long haul.

I guess from your last post you meant LGA 1155, not LGA 2011. (ROG) Republic of Gamer's is a series of ASUS MOBO's, so 'ASUS ROG' as in the prior post is ambiguous, same with Sabertooth as a series.

If this is for gaming then P67 vs Z68 doesn't mean much if anything. The P67 is a better option for gaming, Z68 is in fact a tad slower: SATA, USB, and often frame rate (-0~-4FPS). Z68 adds Quick Sync, iGPU support, and SSD Caching but no gamer is going to SSD Cache on these MOBO's -- either a single or RAID 0 SSD(s).

Here's my picks, I included the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 a solid 2-WAY SLI option, the remainder are all 3-WAY SLI; side-by-side - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&page=2&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13-131-700%5E13-131-700-TS%2C13-188-098%5E13-188-098-TS%2C13-131-714%5E13-131-714-TS%2C13-131-790%5E13-131-790-TS

kairotic

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Z68 is BETTER than P67. Where the hell did you get your stats, Jaquith?

I own the Fatal1ty board, and it kicks ass. I have my memory running at 2133mhz, 2600K at 4.4Ghz, and it is crazy stable. (I ran IBT and Prime95 at the same time for 6 hours and it never crashed). I promise you it is an amazing board.

Where did you get the wrong information (stats)? The only pluses for a Z68: 1. iGPU (like a gamer is going use it), 2. QuickSync (folks who want quality renders don't use it/great for the iPad/iPhone), 3. SSD Caching (dedicated SSD or SSDs blow caching away).

So what are the advantages = none for a gamer. This is all very old news and discussed to death.

Z68 typically poorer SATA speeds, poorer USB speeds, etc - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review/5 there plenty more Google is your friend, use it before making smirky unfounded comments.

SHOW ME the contrary.

Further, the only reason I even brought it up is when I looked at the costs:
$260 P67 ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700
$340 Z68 ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760
====
$80 you'd have to be an idiot to spend that on essentially the same MOBO with no benefits for gaming.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The only proven advantage for Z68 over P67 is that most P67 boards won't be able to run IB, whereas most Z68 will be.

ASRock is just as "established" as Asus is. The parent company is Pegatron, which started out as part of Asus. Pegatron currently produces 30% of the Asus motherboards on the market.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Z68 is in fact slower than the P67 but not by any huge margin. iGPU is useful because it switches the discrete GPU with the iGPU for lower power consumption when not gaming.

Tom's stated:
Motherboards don't give you better performance, but more features and overclocking headroom.
Something like that but the point is there.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Your previous post makes no valid point....you seem to judge companies/products by how long you've known them to exist, which is pretty ignorant.

ASRock is owned by Pegatron, who currently produces 30% of the Asus branded motherboards on the market. Pegatron was a division of Asus until 2004. ASRock, as a brand, has existed for 10 years and is currently the #3 motherboard brand/maker in the world.

Kia has existed as long as Hyundai has.....which started business in 1967. Kia is a division of Hyundai Motors.

(Ivy Bridge / IB) Postponed release date of June/July then if you have any sense you should wait until August/September before purchasing. IMO let the Guinea Pigs work out all of the bugs and at least 2 BIOS revisions.

There's a lot of crapola in this post; data is available and people either choose to read the overlapping data or ignore it. I'm an LGA 1366/LGA 2011 guy myself and I've built plenty P67/Z68, but I have no agenda on LGA 1155 other than 'what it is or isn't' the data is there.

Intel has been in the past pushed into Tick Tock by AMD, and just since LGA 1155 release there have been so many missteps (B2, disabling cores SB-E, VT/d C1) that I hope they cool their jets and focus on quality and slow things down.

For 'gaming' any of the current Intel 4-core CPUs are more than adequate, and aren't going to bottleneck your GPU or GPUs, Since very few folks actually require greater computations than the SB/SB-E I seriously doubt that the IB will add anything more for the majority, and it may offer <2%~4% to gaming. Gaming is primarily about your GPU(s); gaming example (HD 1920x1080 4/8 core/thread) SB + GTX 580 vs IB GTX 570 the SB system is going to beat the IB 100% of the time regardless of the OC's of either CPU(s) and the difference between those GPUs is not night and day.

Now that doesn't mean that I won't appreciate other performance attributes of the IB, I'm sure I will. However, my point is to be aware of perceived expectations vs reality of use.

SB (4/8) vs SB-E (6/12) some gaming examples. In theory the SB-E should beat the crap out of the SB, and in computational/rendering benches it (SB-E) does:
42345.png

42343.png

Solution
Depends on the game, many are cpu bound before gpu bound, especially MMO's. This explains why a stock i3-2100 can push more frames per second than a FX4100 at 4.5ghz with the same video card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

The only real reason to wait for Ivy is if your going to use the integrated graphics or want something a bit more efficient. The 77w tdp should make it a better overclocker than SB.

The chart pretty much demonstrates what I was saying about bottlenecks and gaming, the CPU isn't a bottleneck (getting in the way); note the +0.9~+1.1 FPS difference (i5-2400 4/4 core/thr. @ 3.1GHz) vs (i5-2500K 4/4 core/thr. @ 4.5GHz) and the (i3-2100 2/4 core/thr. @ 3.1 GHz). I run across this running 3DMark 11, the scores are mostly about the GPU and a tiny GPU OC impacts the scores whereas it takes a massive CPU OC to have even a fractional impact.

Further, I'm not trashing the any CPU or Chipset; frankly I don't give a rip. I wish newer always meant better -- it doesn't. In this discussion, it's a P67/Z68 and SB/IB, so it's all Intel. To me it's all about prioritizing money into things that count and use.

If this was a Rendering discussion then my advice would be all about cores, RAM and SSD/RAM Disk, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.