Question AsRock Fatal1ty x470 Gaming K4, audio SPDIF stuttering

LoWang

Commendable
Aug 26, 2019
Just last week, I got a Ryzen 3600 with an "AsRock Fatal1ty x470 Gaming K4" motherboard.

I was in the middle of playing through Ion Fury, but I noticed after making the hardware switch I started having weird audio stuttering - not very frequent, but once every 30 seconds to once every few minutes, the audio would just completely cut out for a moment.

This also happened when I was doing a little stress testing with OCCT and trying to play some music at the same time (using Foobar2000 if relevant). However, I figured this might have been normal since who knows what OCCT was doing to hold up the system (although I had some doubts since the rest of the system WAS fluid and responsive)

Today I wanted to try out an old sound card I had lying around, but noticed it had no SPDIF out and it got me thinking:

I had been using SPDIF output to send the audio to an amplifier... What if I just used the regular speaker jack output instead to connect to the amplifier?

Well, it seems ever since doing that, the audio issues are gone!

So right now, I'm at a point where I think there is some issue with the SPDIF output, but I have no idea what exactly I could do to fix it if I wanted to keep using it.

Additonal notes: I had been using the latest Realtek drivers from AsRock's website (v8619) but I switched back to some generic Realtek R280 drivers since I had issues with the front panel microphone volume being waaay too low. The audio SPDIF stutter manifested with both drivers.

The problem may be Windows 10.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-audio-stuttering-discrete-sound-card,40239.html

You can also try lowering your audio output bitrate.

e7649206-1199-49d9-81ef-a0c6b2b86c4f

LoWang

Commendable
Aug 26, 2019
I've already tried messing with the bitrate to no success.

Ah, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 itself is to blame. Guess I'll keep an eye out for more news.

At least for now my problem is technically solved by using the analog speaker output.

FastAddons

Reputable
Jan 3, 2020
I'm having the same problem with 2700X on the same motherboard.
Every time CPU spikes, it will "stop" SPDIF output. I've tested it also in Ubuntu where it also happens, so this is 100% hardware problem.
The only solution I've found is to reduce CPU voltage, for example 1.2V and 3.9GHz. It will reduce performance though...
So at least I know this is the last time I bought ASRock product.