ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer Linux Compatibility

Jan 10, 2015
Hey! I need to know how well the motherboard listed above works with Linux, if at all. If someone has this combo, I'd like to know if you have had any problems with it so far. Thanks!

Solution
Linux support for hardware generally depends on the kernel version since drivers are built into the kernel. Newer hardware requires newer kernel version. Ubuntu 12.10 for example would not run properly but ubuntu 14.10 would because newer kernel/drivers than those in 12.10,that predate your hardware by years.

Nothing particularly special about 'fatality' branded hardware either. Still has same chipsets. And IMO paying quite a bit more for just for a name.

Use the latest stable kernel (v3.18) and everything should work ok. Not sure when z97 chipset was added to mainline kernel but at least kernel 3.15/ubuntu-14.04 (says phoronix).
Linux support for hardware generally depends on the kernel version since drivers are built into the kernel. Newer hardware requires newer kernel version. Ubuntu 12.10 for example would not run properly but ubuntu 14.10 would because newer kernel/drivers than those in 12.10,that predate your hardware by years.

Nothing particularly special about 'fatality' branded hardware either. Still has same chipsets. And IMO paying quite a bit more for just for a name.

Use the latest stable kernel (v3.18) and everything should work ok. Not sure when z97 chipset was added to mainline kernel but at least kernel 3.15/ubuntu-14.04 (says phoronix).

Solution
Jan 10, 2015

Thanks! I never really got a clear answer from Google about the Z97 chipset compatibility.