ASRock Finally Brings Extreme11/ac Motherboard to Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp231

Splendid
rm1cb4.png

f-14

Distinguished
i about choked when i saw all the sata ports not even reading the article yet i was wondering where the overkill was at as everything else is as it should be.

would have been better if the onboard audio was a creative labs 3D Recon chip. just sayin, it's not over kill yet until it's perfect. maybe that's what they are saving for the socket 2011 X89 board?

Krazeee

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
@AwesomeFX,

High end computer parts have ALWAYS been a scam/rip off. Nobodies complaining because the only people who spend their money on a $600 board are people with serious mental issues or serious wealth.

AwesomeFX

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

See the video, and you'll see how Gigabyte gives you true quality for the same price as ASUS, ASRock and MSI.

That's kinda the essence of my post, with the current generations, Gigabyte doesn't take shortcuts and lie to their customers to make more money.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

I've owned 25 - 30 motherboards from all the aforementioned manufacturers and Gigabyte is by far the worst.

They all had horrible voltage regulation problems making stable overclocks nearly impossible. Sure a bump of 300mhz was fine, but when trying to push it... good luck. The worst of all of them was a 990fx-ud7 which was supposed to be their high end offering for that chipset.

The bios were antiquated. While everyone else had moved to GUI bios Gigabyte was giving me the same ol' blue screen. What I liked even more was that they were forcing incremental stepping on voltages and clock speeds. Thanks Gigabyte! Instead of letting me fine tune I get to choose an incremental setting!

Your marketing video may have convinced you, but my experience says otherwise. They may have cleaned up their act over the last year (last time I purchased one). I would take a lower end ASUS, MSI, or ASRock board over a higher end Gigabyte board any day.

On a side note - Gigabyte video cards are great. I love the Windforce series. I don't hate GB as a company, but their boards are awful.

One more thing - October 2013 join date - how many boards have you built on? Do you have any experience with anyone other than Gigabyte or are you trying to convince yourself you made the correct decision on your first time build?

AwesomeFX

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

Lol does the join date mean I was born in October too?

Anyways, I've built two computers in my life, the rest of them has been from DELL. I wasn't really keen on building before the performance difference between self built and industrial computers got so big. And I'm studying electronics.

And... Really? You deny what he says in the video and you state that it is marketing?

You couldn't be more wrong. He shows how the board is powered, from where the power cables are connected to the last component in the main power system.

He goes down to each chip, mentions the chip models and explains how the different chips work.

And if you would just watch the video... You would see that ASUS, ASRock and MSI use 4 phase power, not the 8 phase they claim. That's kinda shocking, when thinking of you having bad results with Gigabyte motherboards overclocking with true 8 phase power. The cleanness of the amps delivered by ASUS, ASRock and MSI is half of what the Gigabyte delivers.

Now please, watch the video.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Yes I've seen and read similar "reviews." I don't have a half hour to watch the same thing over again. It also appears he only has one 2011 Gigabyte board in his possession to base his claims off. Before you go trashing other boards build a few more machines with other manufacturers, but as its evident you have already bought into Gigabyte its unlikely you will.

You are new to building, studying electronics and fired up. I get it. The whole "who lies about what phase power" debate has been going on long before you discovered the PC enthusiast hobby. General consensus is "who cares?" If Gigabyte does a good job marketing their "true phase" boards, but are still worse performers it doesn't matter. It's the same as MSI showing you their Military grade caps are better than what the competition is using.

All I care about is performance. All the other manufacturers you mentioned have given much better performance than Gigabyte in my experience. I feel that it's a large enough sample size (30 or so builds) that it is a trend not a mirage. If you want to stick with one manufacturer because of a youtube video that's perfectly fine. I would recommend reading reviews from reputable sites and working with other boards before trying to tell a group of people with much more experience they are (basically) idiots for not supporting Gigabyte...

AwesomeFX

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

Well thanks for the lesson... With irony on and off for different parts.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Irony as in advertised "true phase" but worse performer? I wouldn't call that irony. I would call that a board that has met an advertised phase rating, yet still fails to exceed the performance of other boards which are more lenient with their standards (according to your video).

This isn't the same as a generic PSU claiming 500w when a simple calculation would tell you that it can only achieve 300w. Phase power is generally associated with overclocking ability and if my ASUS, MSI, or ASrock board does that better... When it comes down to it who cares if you have 12+4 or 8+2 or 4 phase for that matter if you are running stock?

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Their Bluetooth/wifi module is PCIEx. and for some reason gave me tons of trouble. Windows would boot up and say 'the last usb device plugged in was not recognized'. It was referring to the Bluetooth.
Either way, I returned it and got a 32 power phase xpower. Until they bring stable voltage levels like that, I'm no long choosing ASrock.

Status
Not open for further replies.