ASRock First to Get Windows 8 Motherboard Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I am planning a Haswell Core I5 build this July if the processor is all I hope it to be. Intel has gotten very good at keeping things under wrap, I can't wait to see if this thing is going to be worth the wait.

you ARE aware that the latest news on windows 8.1 says the start button is coming back, right?

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

The start button may be coming back, not necessarily the menu. However, I think just having the button would be enough for me. I don't really like hot corners.

Timmy225

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah, good luck selling any. Newegg still offers Win 7 64 and if I were to build a new rig today, 7 is what I would install if I was going to install Windows at all. The more STEAM continues support of Linux the more the chance of my next rig will not have MS software on it, saving my a nice bit of cash too.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

You're so cool.

Also, irrelevant news.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Correction, the latest news is speculation that it MAY be coming back.

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I am still on core 2 duo and i am building a haswell build too this summer. But you do know it will only be marginally better than ivy bridge right? I just see too many people think that each gen is gonna bring HUGE performance leaps, haswell will have some nice new architectural changes and features, but yea dont expect big miracles lol.

Apr 4, 2013
This is Microsoft's trick for blocking out other operating systems and also making sure that the motherboard has DRM-capability built-in so that they can can (eventually) control the users entertainment consumption. If the motherboard BIOS does not have UEFI-Secure boot capability, it will get rejected. But also, if the mobo does not have hardware that, along with UEFI, allows the OS to control ever aspect of the machine, it will get rejected. Microsoft is trying to turn the PC hardware industry into its own, personal hardware factory.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Look up the definition of "news". Now look up the definition of "rumors". Congratulations! You've now learned the difference between the two!

Also, I said Start "Menus", not "Button". Learn to read. It would be a step backwards to bring back the old Start Menu, though I wouldn't be surprised, since newbs outnumber tinkerers 10-to-1 and newbs like their Start Menus.

Why do I say "newbs"? Because there is literally not a single thing that you can do with the old Start Menu, that you couldn't do just as easily if not faster with a few presses on your keyboard.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Correction, the latest news is speculation that it MAY be coming back.
I can only hope so. I also don't like hot corners (or having tablet apps in the way). The start screen is fine otherwise though.

I am still on core 2 duo and i am building a haswell build too this summer. But you do know it will only be marginally better than ivy bridge right? I just see too many people think that each gen is gonna bring HUGE performance leaps, haswell will have some nice new architectural changes and features, but yea dont expect big miracles lol.
It should be good news for laptop users though, particularly with the graphics.

Edit: I have no idea what the hell is up with the site, but I had to post this from the forums. (someone else said line breaks cause the problem - seriously???)

Status
Not open for further replies.