Question ASRock G41c-GS R2.0 - Unable to do ANYTHING

Cozzolino

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
Hey everybody,

I'm writing this as a last resort for something that I believed would be far easier to accomplish but turned out to be a nightmare.
I own an ASRock G41c-GS r2.0 as per title, the rest of my build is as follows:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 (FSB 1333)
RAM: Crucial 2x4gb DDR3L 1600MHz CT2K51264BD160B
GPU: Radeon R7 265X

Finding the right RAM for this picky Mobo was a feat on its own, little did I know making it run at 1333mhz would be a nebulous and unintellegible achievement. The user manual for G41c has a little note claiming that DDR3 1333 rams should be "(oc)", with no further explanation. So I turned to the internet and tried to figure out what exactly it meant, and the best explanation I could find is that I have to manually input the latency and the DRAM frequency in the BIOS, and so I did. I tried a few configuration (I read the CPU-z readings on latency and did the math on my own, the JEDEC configurations agree with me) but none would boot. The other explanation implied overclocking CPU, but it simply did not make sense since the option to run the RAM at 1333 was already showing, and the automatic setting running at 1000mhz would require a 50% overclock to reach the desired frequencies. Of course using the "preset" 1333 configuration leads to black screen. As a test, I overclocked the CPU by 5% for no particular reason and, behold, black screen again.

I am completely lost here. I never thought OC would be easy or user friendly, but the few experiments I did in the past on my old Asus P5q Pro would at least give me a result, any result. And surely wouldn't black screen on me for a measly 5% OC.

Anyone know what's going on here? Vanilla temps are fine. CPU-Z says RAM is working at 500 MHz (1000MHz). The FSP jumper on the board is on 2-3 position as the manual recommends.

Thanks for your time. I'm available for any further information required.

You asked, "Anyone know what's going on here? "

Poor choice of memory. 1600MHz memory is not supported. G41 chipset offers little to no overclocking. It is a low-end no frills motherboard for basic computing tasks.

P5Q PRO is an Intel P45 chipset-based motherboard from 2009. It was a high performance chipset in its time. The G41 chipset is a low-end no frills model not for overclocking.

8GB 2x 4GB DDR3 1066MHz PC3-8500 DESKTOP Memory
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2x-4GB...Non-ECC-1066-Low-Density-RAM-8G-/331724485983

Cozzolino

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
You asked, "Anyone know what's going on here? "

Poor choice of memory. 1600MHz memory is not supported. G41 chipset offers little to no overclocking. It is a low-end no frills motherboard for basic computing tasks.

P5Q PRO is an Intel P45 chipset-based motherboard from 2009. It was a high performance chipset in its time. The G41 chipset is a low-end no frills model not for overclocking.

8GB 2x 4GB DDR3 1066MHz PC3-8500 DESKTOP Memory
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-2x-4GB...Non-ECC-1066-Low-Density-RAM-8G-/331724485983

Although I can't find any source for claiming these rams are low density, I'm pretty sure this mobo wouldn't even boot if the ram were not. The (explicitly) high density version of this model is named CT2K51264BD160BJ. The ram is unsupported at 1600 mhz, but that doesn't mean they won't work at 1333Mhz, since that frequency is supported by this mobo. I have no reason to believe it is a compatibility problem, but please feel free to prove me wrong so long I can fix this.

TRENDING THREADS