[SOLVED] Asrock Gaming X X370 - 75ns RAM Latency after startup! Please help!

Kograth303

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
When I start up my PC (2x8 gigs of RAM @ 3200mhz) if I check my mem latency is ~57ns... but after like 5 minutes of idling the PC enters a weird state in thich it locks into ~75ns latency on RAM.

I have the latest 4.9 BIOS (before the 5.2 AMD graphics driver update) and I have everything stable on my PC.

Note: With stock settings latency is even worse.
Also here is my ram description:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/20c502_0bd610f48ab0467b84483f3c3257d892.pdf

Update:
If I boot from my older SSD, I have 58ns, if I boot from my new M.2 SSD it's where I get 75ns after a few minutes. Maybe this helps...

Solution
Yeah, I'd make sure your OC is stable before you worry about anything else. Kind of surprising that a newer BIOS would result in worse stability, but I guess it happens.

I just mentioned power setting because I figured it's possible the CPU was going into a low power state when idling and didn't have a chance to fully ramp up before memory latency was measured.

Kograth303

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

I am using PerformanceTest memory benchmark from PassMark. I think I found the answers to my question... it seems to be an unstable OC to the CPU - I had my Ryzen 1700 @ 4050mhz, and my memory was at 75ns, but after lowering it to 4000, it actually was stable at 58-59ns which is the average I see out there.

Additional stuff I did: I upgraded my Bios to the latest 5.2 - which totally screwed up my memory as in I wasn't even able to post at memory factory settings of 3200 only at 3000... so I had to downgrade my Bios to 3.5 (initially being at 4.9 but I decided to go a bit further back before all the Pinnacle updates).

I'll still test the stability and bench it... but I think I kind of get why it had errors, Ryzen 1 series just doesn't like going beyond 4Ghz it would seem.

Edit: Didn't check the power setting, will check it though, even if this may have already solved my case.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I'd make sure your OC is stable before you worry about anything else. Kind of surprising that a newer BIOS would result in worse stability, but I guess it happens.

I just mentioned power setting because I figured it's possible the CPU was going into a low power state when idling and didn't have a chance to fully ramp up before memory latency was measured.

Solution