News ASRock Goes Ampere: Up to 128 Arm Cores in Deep MicroATX

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
One of the peculiarities of the ASRock ALTRAD8UD-1L2T platform is that it comes in the company's proprietary Deep microATX form factor, which will prevent it from installing into regular microATX chassis. In fact, we don't even know if it can be mounted into standard ATX or Full ATX towers. Yet, ASRock Rack will probably offer a chassis to install such motherboards into racks or desktop environments.

The mounting holes all seem to match up with microATX other than the fact that the CPU/memory block two of the mounting points. It only sticks out a little bit farther forward past the widest mounting holes. So it would seem it should fit in most mATX cases.

I personally really like the overall layout. The VRMs and such are in the front meaning the standard power (12VO in this case it seems) and the CPU power are all in the same location right in the front. And while the M.2 slots are still under the GPU, having them in front of the slots is better then in between them. It would be nice to see more options for motherboard layout. Seems most of them all do it the same. Seeing anything different gets my attention.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Altra is really beginning to feel quite dated, by this point. Yet, it's definitely cool to be able to build your own (up to) 128-core ARM server!

I am currently waiting to buy a Rockchip RK3588 SBC, which is at least 2x as fast as a Pi v4 and uses a combination of 4x A76 + 4x A55 cores. The Altra CPUs have a sever version of the A76, so that really puts it into some perspective.

In terms of server hardware, I just bought my second ASRockRack motherboard. So far, I've been satisfied (sadly, I can't say that 100% for their consumer boards).

Last edited:
Reactions: domih

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Altra is really beginning to feel quite dated, by this point. Yet, it's definitely cool to be able to build your own (up to) 128-core ARM server!

I am currently waiting to buy a Rockchip RK3588 SBC, which is at least 2x as fast as a Pi v4 and uses a combination of 4x A76 + 4x A55 cores. The Altra CPUs have a sever version of the A76, so that really puts it into some perspective.

In terms of server hardware, I just bought by second ASRockRack motherboard. So far, I've been satisfied (sadly, I can't say that 100% for their consumer boards).
I'm using a Radxa Rock 5B. I'm running Linux Armbian. Yes, it is quite fast compared to the previous generation (Rock 4B with Rockship RK3399). I'm also using ODROID's (XU-4, H2C, M1, H2+, H3, H3+). I don't care much about the Pi 4.

Reactions: bit_user

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
One would love to "play" with this motherboard. But I'm not sure if it will go details. Mobo +CPU + etc will probably be around 8K. Ah! Plus Ampere Altra is still extremely rare on eBay, maybe in a few years...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS