ASRock H170 Pro4 & Pro4S Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastRewind

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
How about the missing Dual Channel support for DDR4? It is not mentioned anywhere, but I'd like to know whether the lower price justifies the performance loss (if any) or not.

Missing dual channel support? The H170 fully supports dual channel RAM, usually DDR4, such as on these two examples. In my first roundup, there was one board that used DDR3, and another that could use either DDR3 OR DDR4 (not both), which meant only two sticks. The two boards in this article support up to four sticks of DDR4; two or four will run in dual-channel mode.

FastRewind

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

Thank you for your answer! I knew it should be like that, but they did not mention Dual Channel support on the manufacturer's page, but did so in case of the H170 based Pro4/Hyper. This got me confused since nobody is going to omit a potential "feature", and they always mention this. Anyway, thx again for making this clear

For the people usually looking at this chipset, it's not. However, many of the motherboards we review do support OCing, and we have a lot of other users and readers on this site that specifically look for that, so it's not a problem to list that as a "con" when comparing these boards to all the others.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

That's like knocking a Ford Focus because it doesn't have a v8 option, but whatever.

MadOver

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

I'm playing with one, the H170 Hyper. Doing a oc guide for this mobo at the moment :)
Really fun mobo.

SliceT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

True, just seen the article Madocer did with the H170 Hyper oc guide... Pretty cool stuff, was thinking only Z170 could oc.

Status
Not open for further replies.