kaan2ification

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi tom's hardware!
I recently upgraded from a MSI 770-G45 + P II 945 to an AsRock H61iCafe+i5 2400.
I have 3 RAM modules : 2x2Gb, 1x4 Gb, and if I insert them all the computer won't boot, no beep sound and no display.
But if I insert only 2 of them on the same colours, 1x2Gb and 1x4Gb (it is my best option, though it also works with 2x2Gb) everything is ok.
I mention that there is no problem in RAM compatibility since it worked fine with all 3 modules (8 GB) on the old MSI 770-G45 mobo.

Thank you a lot if you can help me, I really don't seem to realise what's the problem.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't state what the specs are of the memory you are using. Assuming the specs are within range of the board's requirements, Read page 19 of your board's manual. You must install matching sticks in like-colored slots to utilize dual channel. Blue slots when using only 2 sticks. Some boards are very picky when it comes to mixing RAM.

kaan2ification

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
My ram modules ar all from A-DATA, 1333 mhz, 1.5V, CL9, and the board supports 1066/1333 frequencies.
I assume that this is a dual channel problem, since if I put any 2 ram modules in the same colour slots (doesn't matter if they're white or blue on my board), there is absolutely no problem.
Maybe if I will buy another module I will then have all 4 slots occupied so it should work in dual channel. But I don't know.

kaan2ification

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Ok thanx a lot for the 'maybe' answer, I really need to be answered by an expert who really knows somethings about this kind of problems, I'm sure there is somebody around here who can help me... Right?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You can use the pair of modules in either the blue or white slots, yes. But the manufacturer recommends using the blue slots for a single pair of sticks.

The reason you are having trouble with a pair of sticks and a single stick, is due to the way dual channel works. Don't waste your time trying to "use up" a 1GB stick of RAM. Either live with the 4gigs in the blue slots or populate the other 2 slots with matching sticks.

frostenergy

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

I just wanted to state that I am having the same problem he is here with this board. The only difference is that I am using all matching sticks. no matter how I try it. if its more than two sticks. it does not boot. Even with the latest BIOS.

triblex88

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
just check the mobo site u guys

here is what they saying

"**This motherboard supports two double-sided or four single-sided DIMMs. Therefore, if you install four DDR3 DIMMs, you can only adopt four single-sided DIMMs."

one sided Ram = black chips on one side
two sided Ram= black chips on both sides

Total sides of all rams the motherboard can support is 4 sides

that's ur options

1- 4 rams ( 1 sided module) 4*1= 4
2- 2 rams ( 2 sided module) 2*2= 4
3- 2 rams single sided + 1 ram two sided (1*2) + 2 = 4

crossroaded

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks dude, i was searching my ass off and now that u say this thing about two sided and one sided dimm it all makes sense..
Great! sweet! now that i found the solution i can go to sleep again. But i do have bought two KVR1333D3N9/4G KINGSTON for nothing.. Interested? anyone?