Question ASROCK H670 PG Riptide won't boot with a GPU plugged in

Apr 10, 2022
Hi

First time posting here so apologies if I've got this in the wrong place, but I was keen to see if anyone could help or could share similar experiences.

I've just given my PC an upgrade so that it could use a modern SSD (the computer was a bit of a Frankenstein's monster built between 2008 and 2016 and was booting phenomenally slowly). I had to change the processor, mobo and RAM to achieve this and went with:

• ASRock H670 PG Riptide motherboard
  • Intel Core i5 12600 (not K)
  • 32gb DDR4 RAM
  • Samsung 980 pro with a fresh windows 11 install

I set the machine up with my old HDD with windows 10 installed and everything worked fine. I then did a clean windows install on the new SSD and that worked fine too.

However, any attempt to plug my GTX1060 back in (not updated as GPU prices are still a bit too high) and the system refuses to boot. The fans will spin on the case, PSU, processor and the graphics card itself, implying power is going to all these areas, but I can't even get as far as the BIOS screen. I get 5 angry sounding beeps and red LEDs showing on the Boot and VGA lights of the Post Status Checker. I've tried each of the PCIe slots for the GPU I get the same response from each. I'm out of ideas, short of connecting everything back up to the old mobo to check that the GPU hasn't somehow got fried in the transition to the new computer.

Does anyone know of any common issues that might be causing this problem? Or whether it's symptomatic of a faulty part that needs returning? Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Lutfij

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It's an OCZ700MXSP 700 watt supply that admittedly is from 2008 so 14 years old!

Even if this isn't the issue, there's a fair chance it is, but you should replace it either way. This is not suitable at all to run all that nice hardware.

I'm presuming you tried a BIOS reset? Even though the board is new, it may still need this.

But replace that power supply as soon as possible. If you get the board to boot, do NOT use that unit with it. It wasn't a great unit 14 years ago, you can imagine it most definitely isn't now.

Apr 10, 2022
Hi, so reporting back...

I've been able to get hold of a new case and psu (probably overdue). Same setup as before... system boots without the gpu but refuses to boot with the gpu plugged in.

However... having 2 cases and psu's now, I've put the old pc back together (asus p8h61-mx with an i5-3470 and 8gb of ddr3)... and it boots just fine with the GTX1060 plugged in. So, mercifully, the graphics card isn't fried!

I've not tried a bios reset yet but will give that a try too and see if it helps fix the problem.

Thanks for the help so far.

Apr 10, 2022
So, next update. I left flashing the BIOS to the weekend so that I could give it proper time and attention, however firing up the computer today I can't get a signal to the monitor from any of the display outputs (though no angry beeping from the motherboard like when I had the GTX1060 plugged in). Starting to think it's just a faulty motherboard. I've gone round checking all connections and everything looks to be connected up properly.

Apr 10, 2022
Next update - I've managed to get the PC to boot and flashed the BIOS to the latest version (8.02)... and still no response with the GPU plugged in.

I'm completely out of ideas now. Can anyone else recommend anything?