Question AsRock H81M-VG4 upgrade problem

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
So I have this mobo paired with an i3 4160, gtx 750ti,8gb ddr3 and 400w psu . This is my secondary pc and for a while I've been looking into upgrading it.

Problem is I always ran into the same problem. So far I've tried i5 4440, 4460 and 4570. Basically every time I put any i5 the system fails to boot, happened with i5 4570 and 4440. My bios is 1.30 so it should support them. I have cleared the bios and still to no improvement. Then came the i5 4460. I managed to boot it into windows but what happened is that it became a stutter mess. Games constantly stutter even faster movements in windows would cause a stutter on the screen as if it's power starved. So I went on and put my main PC's psu that's a 600w unit that has powered up to an i7 2600 no problem.

I've reselled all i5s and the buyers reported no problems. What could be wrong with the mobo?

What is the make/model of the 400w psu?
I5 chips draw more power than your i3, not so much more that I would think it was a problem.
But, if a different psu fixed the issue, I would think you need to change the psu.
Not so much for advertised wattage, but for quality.

Be advised that the cpu sockets on the motherboard are delicate.
They are designed for up to 15 insertions.
If you have damaged a pin, no telling what your symptoms might be. ram issues are common.

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
What is the make/model of the 400w psu?
I5 chips draw more power than your i3, not so much more that I would think it was a problem.
But, if a different psu fixed the issue, I would think you need to change the psu.
Not so much for advertised wattage, but for quality.

Be advised that the cpu sockets on the motherboard are delicate.
They are designed for up to 15 insertions.
If you have damaged a pin, no telling what your symptoms might be. ram issues are common.
I meant that the 600w unit did nothing about the problem and it remains just like with the 400w. They are both fortron 400w 80+ certified and the 600w is fsp hyper k 600w 80+ bronze. None fixed the issue ruling out power supply as problem.

Can you get into the bios ok?
Can you run memtest?
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

See if you can boot windows in safe mode(F8)
That will load windows with a minimum of drivers.

There is also a bios update F1.50 which updates microcode.

What is your cpu temperature at idle?
If it is much more than 10-15c. over ambient, even with a stock cooler, you may be having thermal issues.

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
the stock one for the i3 or the "new" i5?
No idea why I missed to answer it, I guess I was kinda in a hurry yet wanted to respond. Each i5 came with a heatsink, at least the once I have tried so far and I've used the heatsink they came with, considering they're second hand I really have no clue if they were really the i5's original heatsink or not just that they were the ordinary looking intel heatsink but with like a copper circle underneath.

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Can you get into the bios ok?
Can you run memtest?
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

See if you can boot windows in safe mode(F8)
That will load windows with a minimum of drivers.

There is also a bios update F1.50 which updates microcode.

What is your cpu temperature at idle?
If it is much more than 10-15c. over ambient, even with a stock cooler, you may be having thermal issues.
I've already ran the memtest with the i3 and it passed, I do wonder if they i5 that could boot would pass it but I do not know. 2 of the CPUs would just turn on the pc lights and fans etc. but no video output ever and the one that did boot was running properly in the bios and windows, I've tried safemode as well and it stutters in each and every way when you try to do any remotely fast action like going with the mouse to Chrome fast and clicking it causes visible stutter. Checked with Core Temp the one that did boot and the temps were about 7 above ambient at idle in my room, idling at around 31-32 degrees. What got my attention was that the voltage was just 0.8v up to 0.9v as shown by the program, why would that be considering my main rig with i3 10100 runs at 1.1 to 1.2v at idle. Also, if I'd do something intensive(like literally moving my cursor fast and clicking a program), it would drop further down to even 0.75v for whatever reason. It does that with both power supplies.