ASRock Killer Z370 SLI/AC outputting high volts on I7-8700 Non-K

quietstrm07

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I'm not sure if this has to do with XMP settings, but when load testing my new build, I've been experiencing voltages that meet or exceed 1.42V (sometimes hitting 1.449V) on all cores.

My current specs are:
CPU: Intel I7-8700 Non-K
Mobo: ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/AC
Cooler: Cyrorig H7
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4-3200Mhz

I've been running into heat issues primarily on my core temps. Under load, they are typically high 80s under 100% usage or throttling when using Handbrake or Prime95, which may be due to those softwares. This caused me to take a look at my voltages and I noticed they seemed exceedingly high, as even most people only run a 1.4V as max on an overclocked I7-8700K.

In order to maximize my RAM, I enabled XMP setting 1, so I'm not sure what this impact might have had in my CPU voltages. This is my first build, so I apologize if I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to some of these things. I'm just wanting to ensure that this is either something that is "normal" or has a remedy before I go through the process of RMA'ing either my CPU or mobo.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping it's a simple tweak before either spending more on improved cooling or going through the RMA process.

quietstrm07

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

Is it going to allow me to manually set that voltage given that I'm running a non-K version of the CPU? I can try this after I get back to my house if so.

quietstrm07

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

Quick question, is HWinfo64 accurate in its reporting of voltages? I ran the test with OCCT and was only registering voltages of 1.34V with the same settings in place.

Otherwise, setting the VCore voltage to 1.2 caused instability and a blue screen, so I'd have to set it up a bit higher I think.

EDIT: I think I might have gone full noob here, but would just want a little validation. The 1.42V and 1.449V readings I believe I was getting was me reading the VID voltage on the chip, instead of the VCore voltage off the motherboard. The VCore was only hitting about 1.34V, so if I've read correctly, this VCore is the one I need to pay attention to and I am within safe limits. Is this correct?