News ASRock launches Radeon RX 7900 WS cards with blower coolers and 12V-2×6 power connectors

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
At only 300W-400W, I suppose these cards will be the final say in just how flawed 12V-2x6 is.

I fully expect to see reports of these 'lighting off' like Team Green's non-top tier cards equipped w/ same/similar.

Literally, I have 0 faith in that 'in-built obsolescence' connector.

Reactions: Amdlova
At only 300W-400W, I suppose these cards will be the final say in just how flawed 12V-2x6 is.

I fully expect to see reports of these 'lighting off' like Team Green's non-top tier cards equipped w/ same/similar.

Literally, I have 0 faith in that 'in-built obsolescence' connector.
This is probably AMD partner hinting AMD to ditch that older 6 pin and 8 pin and migrate completely to new connector.

D

Deleted member 2731765

I'm guessing this is their first workstation card? I wonder if they use the gaming GPUs for this...

Yes. And these GPUs are based on the same Navi 31 die as the gaming variants.

Although, most of the specifications are the same as any other 7900 XTX or 7900 XT GPU, the clock, power, & design parameters have been adjusted (for AI workloads).

ASRock's RX 7900 XTX Workstation GPU comes with reduced base and game clocks of 1670 MHz / 2270 MHz (vs 1929 / 2365 MHz stock on the gaming card).

The boost clock remains the same though, at 2.5 GHz.

Most importantly, ASRock has bumped the memory specs, as the RX 7900 XTX Workstation GPU now sports memory speeds of 24 Gbps. The Gaming GPUs support 20 Gbps effective speed.

uBFAnMT.png

Reactions: TechyIT223
D

Deleted member 2731765

Might be overkill, but there would also be less cable clutter if they go for a single 12V-2×6 power connector, rather than having 3 8-pin cables in a multi-GPU environment.

Given the positioning of ASRock's Radeon RX 7900 XT WS 20 GB and Radeon RX 7900 XTX WS 24 GB graphics cards, we do not expect any factory-overclocked products and we can only wonder whether they can be overclocked at all.

Why would you want to OC a workstation GPU in a multi-card environment though ?

But anyway, FWIW, these cards actually come with reduced base and game clocks as compared to their gaming counterparts. The boost clock remains the same though.

Reactions: TechyIT223