ASRock M8 Mini-ITX Barebones Gaming PC Updated With Z97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

You can allways sell the motherboard on Ebay and use the case ...

I would pay you $100 for the Motherboard if you dont use it.

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I just CANNOT believe they didn't know about the airflow problem. It's a super simple fix for insane results, and is slathered all over their Newegg reviews as well as here and TechPowerUp. What a huge disappointment for ASRock.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
yeah airflow is a issue. i also dont like that it uses SODIMM's.. Hard to find good gaming laptop memory for a decent price.

I give them kudos for putting 6 sata ports on that board tho. i guess that's the trade off you made for the RAM size

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

totally useless to Overclock such small machines. so you dont need Overclocked Ram at all .. and you dont need much airflow as well.

the M8 is not for overclocking.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm still disappointed by the cooling; obviously the choice of intake/exhaust positioning is bad, but even after changing this you're still relying on tiny fans for all of yours cooling, which still means a choice between quiet and cool (or spending a lot of money on properly quiet fans in that size).

I'd still much rather that they had used the "side" above the CPU for a large fan mount. A nice big 140mm exhaust fan over a passive CPU cooler would work well, and draw out enough heat for other components (RAM, storage etc.) while the GPU handles its own cooling. Even better if the mount supported a radiator, as this would be more effective than the passive cooler with a fan over it, and all-in-one liquid cooling is pretty affordable these days anyway (a good air cooler will usually set you back a similar amount).

I just don't know why manufacturers keep building slim cases with tiny fans, especially when this one is clearly geared towards standing vertically anyway.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

Answer : Desktop Place Area .. the Height of the case is no issue , it is anyways not higher than the TV or PC Monitor , the issue is the desktop Area it needs and being slim is good near th TV or on a small desk.

by the way , the machine is not noisy , if you dont overclock it , it is good. 4 x 70 fans are more than enough to cool 80 watts CPU ... Dell puts i7 in a slim SFF with one fan only and it works fine and no noise.

Most of the noise comes from the GPU card any ways and this has nothing to do with those fans. and when you game , you wont hear the fans as well the game sound would be higher.

be sure to get a standard card that pushes the hot air outside the case .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS