ASRock MB stuck at boot screen with constant screen and peripheral resetting

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I suppose it has something to do with me try to dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 10. (Bad Flash) I am not able to go into any of the options and I'm not able to change BIOS settings. I've tried many of the solutions involving unplugging the battery and the jack while turning your computer on and it hasn't worked for me. Are there any other possible ways to get around this and into a normal boot?

I'm currently using an ASRock Z87 Pro 4 with 32GB of DDR3 memory, a 980ti, 2 HDDs and 1 SSD, and an i5 4440.

Update: After unplugging and plugging the computer back in, I can turn it on and it'll stay for a few seconds, then restart and boot again. (Nothing on screen)

When I get to the boot logo, my monitor will lose connection every 30 seconds or so. When this happens, all my peripherals seem to lose power as well. (Seen through lighting in keyboard, mouse, headset, etc.)

I tried almost everything in the stickied post as well and had no luck. (I didn't every take out the motherboard or test the CPU because everything was fine before trying to dual boot)

Really hoping this will narrow down some things.

Solution
Get the PC running with the drive that is giving you trouble out of the system. Once all is good, plug in the drive that was giving you trouble and see if Disk Manager can see it. If it can, delete all partitions on it, re-partition/reformat it, and off you go. If Disk Manager can't see it, try AOMEI Partition Manager: it has a lot of utilities you can try to see if the drive is salvageable.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
oh, my. if you absolutely cannot change BIOS setting so that your first boot choice is "external boot device" (so that you can plug your bootable Win10 or Linux USB stick in and boot from that), it's time to pull the plug on the cmos to reset it back to factory setting and see what happens. Check with your motherboard website or User's Manual for directions.

BTW, I've had dual-boot Win10/Linux Mint and Win7/Linux Mint for years without any problems at all.

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I've already tried resetting cmos and had no luck.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Will it let you boot into the Boot Menu? I don't know what function key is used on your system, but it's worth a try. If not, shut the computer off, remove the HDD and see what happens. I have my doubts. If you can't get into BIOS/Boot Menu, the HDD never comes into play.

OMG!! By "Bad Flash" I hope you don't mean that you borked a BIOS update/upgrade...

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
No, it won't let me go anywhere. I can only see the ASRock logo.

Update: I made a very tiny bit of progress. I tried removing the battery and putting it back in instead of the jack and now I hear a beep when I push the delete key on startup. I still only see the boot logo, though.

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Bump. I also ruled out my new memory sticks as not a problem, as well as my 980 ti. (Used some old sticks I had that I knew worked and nothing changed)

Also, if this happens to be an SSD failure, which seems more and more evident now because my SSD is 4 years old and I just tried to dual boot, how would I fix this? By that I mean trying to set up my OS on one of my hard drives.

Is there a way I can check if my SSD is done for?

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
I honestly don't know of any tests for viability of an SSD, short of what the mfr has (Samsung has "Magician" others may have something similar).

Wipe HDD (or at least delete the partition(s), create new partition and format), then do a clean install of the OS from a new USB thumb drive made at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

Immediately after the install completes, go to "settings->Update & security->Windows Update->Check for updates" and get all the latest stuff downloaded and installed.

The last thing you do is install the latest driver for your video card.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
The easiest way to do this is to simply remove the SSD. That way there can be no confusion between the BIOS and the Windows installer. Realistically, all you have to do is remove the SATA data cable from the SSD.

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I tested the SSD and it boots fine on other PCs. I'm pretty lost at this point.

EDIT: I found that one of my hard drives was causing my PC not to boot. It was the one that I was installing Linux Mint on. Is there any way to fix this, or is it just scrap now?

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Get the PC running with the drive that is giving you trouble out of the system. Once all is good, plug in the drive that was giving you trouble and see if Disk Manager can see it. If it can, delete all partitions on it, re-partition/reformat it, and off you go. If Disk Manager can't see it, try AOMEI Partition Manager: it has a lot of utilities you can try to see if the drive is salvageable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS