ASRock MoBo Supporting ''Zambezi'' Arrives Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xlick

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
something doesn't add up here...

The article says it will support quad Crossfire X...

But it also says there are only 2 pcie 2.0 slots...

And the picture shows 3 slots...

What is it? 2, 3, or 4?

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I wonder if the board thats picturd is the exact board. I doubt it.

Please, for the love of God, stop putting IDE/floppy connections on a new mobos!

The first two slots are PCIe-16x, the last slot is electrically PCIe-4x, but physically it is 16x.

I don't know about the quad CrossfireX claim though...

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Xlick[/nom]something doesn't add up here...The article says it will support quad Crossfire X...But it also says there are only 2 pcie 2.0 slots...And the picture shows 3 slots...What is it? 2, 3, or 4?[/citation]
Quad Crossfire ~ two, dual GPU cards populating the two PCIe2.0-16x slots.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Baby Jesus hates it when you go legacy. PCI and IDE? I'm not buying another motherboard that has either. I'd rather just have empty spaces on the MoBo. People, sata dvd units are $18. Ditch your quantum fireball. If you think that IDE/PCI are mandatory for a board in 2011, you are holding us back. I see many user reviews on the Egg that go something like this:

"I really think this 890 chipset based motherboard should have two IDEs, not just one."

"No PATA, XP installation from another machine was not happy."

Motherboard companies are listening. Be real. It's time to move on. There is no AMD board without PCI. Most AMD boards still come with ribbon cables in the box. There is something wrong with with this picture. At least a lot of Sandy Bridge mobos have ditched the 20th century.

AsRock had a contest recently to suggest new mobo ideas. I see that the suggestions to ditch the legacy devices are going unheeded. I think it's just common sense. If you're still using a eide hdd, you don't --just-- need a new motherboard. You need a clue.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
[citation][nom]compton[/nom] If you're still using a eide hdd, you don't --just-- need a new motherboard. You need a clue.[/citation]

QFT.

It amazed me that anyone would buy a brand new high end motherboard, to use with decade old hardware. But a quite recently built a PC for someone who wanted to re-use his old IDE disk drive. Some people are pretty stupid.

G

Maybe they are talking about supporting 2 6990 dual gpu cards for Crossfire X.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Probably the reason why AMD is losing so many business from intel is because they don't have enough SLI motherboards to select from. It's mostly just Crossfire.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Why is the motherboard 890FX? I thought Bulldozer was 990 Northbridge?[/citation]
The chipset and CPU aren't tied at the hip. For example, there are boards that support AM3 chips but use the older 7xx northbridge. I am sure that at some point we'll see AM3 boards with a newer chipset, but in the meantime the 890FX is being utilized. Thankfully 890FX + SB850 has proven to be a solid combo. Of course the most important pieces are in the processor itself anyway.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bigmac80[/nom]Probably the reason why AMD is losing so many business from intel is because they don't have enough SLI motherboards to select from. It's mostly just Crossfire.[/citation]
I highly doubt it. Most systems sold on the market don't even have a discrete graphics card, let alone two or more. The enthusiast, DIY market is actually a relatively small portion of overall system (and therefore CPU) sales.

Besides, SLI support is up to Nvidia. If Nvidia decides to continue making chipsets for AMD CPUs, you'll see SLI boards. But I sort of doubt it, since on the GPU side Nvidia and AMD are in fierce competition.

maziar321

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
example, I have a 790gx asrock mobo with an am3 processor. Not too long ago, 7xx was the standard for am3.[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]The chipset and CPU aren't tied at the hip. For example, there are boards that support AM3 chips but use the older 7xx northbridge. I am sure that at some point we'll see AM3 boards with a newer chipset, but in the meantime the 890FX is being utilized. Thankfully 890FX + SB850 has proven to be a solid combo. Of course the most important pieces are in the processor itself anyway.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.