ASrock Mobo / USB 3 problem.

ricky2014

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hi,

Have an Asrock HM81M mobo what has two USB 3 connectors on the rear panel and they seen to work fine.

Recently added a front panel USB3 caddy which plug into the mobos front 19pin usb3 connector.
It works, but only at half the speed of the rear ports.

The typical test is writing out a system image to either a Maxtor or Samsung 500gb external drives using the short 40cm USB3 cables supplied with the drives.

Things I have tried or suspect might be cause the problem.

Device manager shows Etron USB3 as working.

No Etron Driver listed on Asrocks HM81M download page, so could not reload.

Bios shows all USB3 parameters Enabled or Auto

Wondered in the longer internal cables from the front caddy to the mobo could cause such a speed loss, though in the past have generally found a usb long cable problem often results in the drive just dropping out.

The first front caddy I used was just a simple socket only, but got a new one which has its own psu power connect socket, but no effect.

Any ideas,

thanks

ricky2014

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hi,

Have a 8gb Kingston Data Traveller 100 G3 usb3 , with a folder containing a lot of mixed sized files.

To copy the folder to the SSD from the front USB3 port about 6 mins

To copy the same from the rear USB port about 2.5 mins.

Formatted the drive each time and repeated the exercise but copying the folder from the SDD to the pen drive, but they both took the same time. Different to what happens with the system image to the external hdd.

So seems it does not present a clear picture , well not to me ??

ricky2014

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for that link, not one I found when searching.

The driver is v 10.0.16299.15 and its a EJ168A.

Looks like there is nothing as such that can be done to this board, seems I will just have to accept the front usb3 ports as usb2 / not reliable and be aware of Etron when I buy a new mobo

Don't suffer with BSOD and only really need USB 3 for the system backups so can live with using the rear ports for that.

cheers