Asrock N68c-s UCC option causes no POST

bovril

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey all,

Just attempted a new build, all was working fine.

Until, I read about the UCC function on the asrock motherboard - I had purchased a AMD Athlon II X3 455 which apparently unlocks easily to a quad-core processor, so naturally I was pretty excited.

But after enabling it and F10'ing, the computer no longer boots. It's the typical issue of fans are turning and hdd is clearly active, even the keyboard and mouse are showing power, but there's no BIOS and no beep. Just sits there and runs and runs until I turn it off (holding down power button still works).

Specs are as follows:

Asrock AM2+ N68C-S Mobo
AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHZ
Antec TruePower New 750W Modular PSU
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775 (thermal paste has been applied)
PowerColor HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
Corsair Vengeance 4gbx2 cmz8gx3m2a1600c9

Taken the CMOS battery out for 10 minutes or so, but still nothing. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Unplug the system and try removing the board battery again and leave it out overnight. Check your connections and don't touch the cpu or ram yet. The less you handle them, the better. Your cpu has a bad core so don't try unlocking it again.

I was going to say, "Now you know why AMD sold you an X3 CPU." but o1die beat me to it.

I do not think that you have the capability to relock the bad core.

The unlocked core is a function of the CPU, not the BIOS. I also think that you will need another CPU.

bovril

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Oh flip. Curiosity killed the cpu I guess. I wouldn't even have attempted it if it wasn't such a simple option!

Well, I'll leave the battery out for a bit and then try again with my old cpu and see if I get anywhere. Thanks for the advice guys.