[SOLVED] Asrock Phantom Gaming D Rx 580 8gb wont start

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 26, 2019
So i had a working GTX 750TI and upgraded to a Rx 580. Uninstall the nvidia drivers via DDU and plug the new graphic card in the slot, plug the pcie (i have a EVGA 70B 80plus bronze power supply), plug the hdmi and i'm ready to go, but when i turn on my pc nothing happens, black screen. No error code, no sound, no nothing. Since its brand new i called the place where i buyed it and they offered me to replace it with a new one, the thing is that the new one does the exact same thing. Any ideas? Since the graphic isnt working i put back my GTX and works just fine, even without the drivers installed. Its a BIOS thing maybe? maybe an update is required or some specific configuration? idk, that's beyond me.

*update*
I checked and i have the last BIOS version, the 2603. I'm thinking this mobo never had other graphic card than my gtx 750, maybe i need to do something in order to the mother take the new one? idk, im lost here. In my previews mobo i had a very old geforce graphic card and when i updated to the 750 worked without touching anything. But it was the same brand so.
*Update 2*
I checked again, just in case, for the compatibility of my mobo and the graphic and found something odd. In a page where u can virtually build a PC using only compatible components when I enter in the mobo compatibility page, the graphic card isn't listed, however, when i do it the other way around, from the graphic card mobos compatibility page, my mobo is there.

My full build here.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: Fx 8350
Power Supply: EVGA 700B 80 PLUS BRONZE
RAM: DDR3 HyperX fury 4gb 1866mhz (x2)
STORAGE: WD BLUE 2TB HDD
COOLING: Cooler Cpu Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Solution
The first thing I'd do, is create installation media, and try to boot to THAT installation media first. USB would be the best option if you have a suitable flash drive to use for that. See if it will boot to the installer media without trouble. If it will, stop the installation, restart the system, and see if it will do it again. If it will, then the problem likely isn't your system at all, but the current Windows installation.

Also, when you install, make sure that there are NO other drives attached to the system except the drive you are installing FROM, which should be USB or optical media, and the target drive for the OS.

If you cannot set the boot order to that drive (And I would recommend just using the boot override function in...
Jan 26, 2019

Could be the windows. It's strange tho cause it was working just fine and even now I don't notice anything off. When I reach Windows everything works fine. No error codes or msgs, everything seems normal.
I need to manage to power up the PC and get into windows. If it's not a bios problem or some of miss-configuration windows seems the logic problem.

So, my recommendation would be to update to version 1809. You can upgrade, or do a clean install to that version. I would recommend doing a clean install because most of the time if there is a problem due to a botched driver framework or registry entry that is NOT part of the core OS, it will not be fixed by simply changing build versions. Windows tends to mostly leave other stuff alone, which is the whole reason you can upgrade to a new version of Windows 10 without having to reinstall anything.

The downside to that, as I said, is that it also tends to not fix anything that isn't directly part of the core OS. I've seen a lot of otherwise unresolvable problems correct themselves from moving on from build version 1803 to 1809 though, so it could go either way. Unfortunately, and obviously, if you do a clean install you will also need to reinstall all your games and applications but that seems a small price to pay if it resolves the issue. It might not, but there's a good chance it might.

Jan 26, 2019
With my problem of not being able to access windows easily process including reboots (or even boot) and stuff are complicated also i wanna let the clean install as a last resource for obvious reasons. I'm going with the update, think i can tinkle with some repair/recovery options too and if none of that works i'll do the install and hope for the best. I don't remember cause its been a while since my last windows install, do windows reboot during the process or so? cause that could be a problem. When i tried to boot in safe mode and therefore rebooted i ended up with a black screen and no safe mode.

The first thing I'd do, is create installation media, and try to boot to THAT installation media first. USB would be the best option if you have a suitable flash drive to use for that. See if it will boot to the installer media without trouble. If it will, stop the installation, restart the system, and see if it will do it again. If it will, then the problem likely isn't your system at all, but the current Windows installation.

Also, when you install, make sure that there are NO other drives attached to the system except the drive you are installing FROM, which should be USB or optical media, and the target drive for the OS.

If you cannot set the boot order to that drive (And I would recommend just using the boot override function in the bios if possible so that it doesn't try booting again to that drive during any subsequent restarts) and get it to boot to it without issues, then you may have a storage controller or other problem on the motherboard and that could be the root of your problem to begin with if so. I don't think that will be the case, but you never know.

Another option, if you have any other drives laying around, would be to remove your current drive, install that drive, install windows on it and see if it will reboot without any problems.

A further option would be to create a bootable USB Ubuntu OS and see if there are any problems booting to THAT, without you main drive attached to the system. Could also be that you have a bad drive or that your boot partition for windows is borked.

Solution