News ASRock Radeon RX 570 Card Falls to Just $109

InvalidError

Titan
Nice. The Rx5500 would be a failure if it failed to beat Rx 570, considering the latter's low price.
I'd suspect AMD hasn't ordered Polaris wafers in a while and most of what is still on the market are leftovers trickling down. The RX570/580 won't be competing with the RX5500 once Polaris models go out of stock.

Also, even if it remains available for a while, there will still be a 50-70W handicap. For many people, some combination of lower noise, lower heat output, newer architecture and lower power is enough to justify paying $30-50 extra. Since I keep my GPUs for quite a few years (practically forever if we count shifting them down to older PCs), a newer GPU means that many more years of driver support before it becomes a useless paperweight too.

hannibal

Distinguished
This is storage clearanse! So if you want to get cheap polaris. Act soon!
5500 will be much more expensive. But 570 and 580 Are just so good at this moment. It will change soon, when They run out of inventory!

larkspur

Distinguished
If the 5500XT is really just a 8gb higher binned/clocked version of the 5500 4gb OEM then the 5500XT 8gb should (hopefully) be on par with the RX 580 8gb. Right now early benches show the 5500 4GB OEM version is beaten significantly by the RX 580 8gb in everything except power consumption. This is disturbing, but less vram and immature drivers are factors. However, rumors suggest that the 5500XT base specs have the GPU only running ~2% higher clocks than the 5500 OEM. Obviously some cards will be clocked higher, but how much higher and at what price? Will it actually beat the RX 580 8gb when it launches? Hmmmmm...

Once the RX 580 stock dries up, the biggest question on the 5500XT 8gb will become how it competes on price and performance compared with the 1650 super and the 1660. The Nvidia 1650 Super is ~$160. The 1660 is ~$220. Supposedly, the 5500XT will launch on December 12. Let's hope it is less than $180! In the meantime you can find some wicked deals on the RX 570/580 like the RX 570 in this article. It even has a game bundle. Pretty hard to beat that value!

However, keep in mind that this $109 ASRock model has only one 6-pin PCIe power connector. This limits the board's total power @150w (unless ASRock is being naughty and going out of spec). I would NOT expect this model to overclock beyond its factory "OC mode" spec. And I'd bet its boost behavior is extremely inconsistent compared to more expensive versions. Still a wicked deal for those looking for a GPU ~$100!

InvalidError

Titan
Supposedly, the 5500XT will launch on December 12. Let's hope it is less than $180!
If the XT is only marginally faster than the non-XT which is itself often a fair bit slower than the RX580 and 1650S, then I'd expect AMD to have a hard time asking much over $160 for it. Still ~$50 more for AMD and its partners to split than RX580 assuming the 158sqmm 7nm Navi dies cost about the same to manufacture as the 232sqmm 14nm Polaris ones do.

About 40% higher price for the same to slightly worse performance than the product it replaces is already going to be a tough sale, only going to be worse if the 5500XT fails to consistently beat the 1650S by meaningful margins. There may be some hypothetical future value in the extra VRAM but then again, those GPUs are likely to max-out on GPU-power before running out of VRAM and at that point, you will be lowering details for increased frame rates which typically reduces VRAM usage anyway.

larkspur

Distinguished
I would hope that you're right and we'll see the lower-spec 5500XT 4gb models going for $150. I was referring to the 8gb models hopefully being under $180 - better incentive to buy instead of the 1650 Super. And yes, vram limitations aren't going to be relevant in every game. There are however some games that show a difference even at this performance level.

In his review of the 1650 Super, Joe Shields wrote:
Memory capacity remains the same at 4GB, which today can be a concern for some titles running ultra settings. Running out of VRAM can significantly affect performance, so users will have to be careful with memory-heavy games, especially as time goes on and VRAM requirements increase.
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gtx_1650-super-turing

As Steve Burke summarized all the way back in 2016 when comparing the RX 480 8gb with the RX 480 4gb:
As for whether or not 8GB is worth it, it really depends. If you're playing games like Black Ops, Mirror's Edge with higher quality settings, or Asssassin's Creed and similar games, it is absolutely better to get the 8GB card. Deltas nearing 30% make a big difference to perceived fluidity of framerate.
But that's not all games. A lot of the games we tested show no perceptible difference, despite having measurable differences. They might be different by a few FPS, but not much more than that. Ashes of Singularity, Talos Principle, Metro: Last Light, and Shadow of Mordor saw minimal impact from the VRAM capacity change. Black Ops, Mirror's Edge, and Assassin's Creed had big differences that would actually be relevant. The Division was mixed.
Source: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2503-amd-rx-480-4gb-vs-8gb-benchmark-is-it-worth-it

Since I also keep my graphics cards for forever (I am currently using a Radeon HD6970 2GB from 2011) I would definitely get the 8gb model. The reason I chose the 6970 in the first place was the 2gb of vRAM since the competing GTX 570 only had 1.5gb of RAM. I have been happy with my purchase! Even though there haven't been driver updates in years (and I had to rig up a home-made fan-shroud because one of the original fans died) it still plays new DX11 games pretty well but obviously on low settings (I mostly play MMO, Total War games, and Dark Souls 3). Anyway, cheers!

TRENDING THREADS