Question ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger Pro 12GB issues?

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Hello, I've upgraded my GPU and CPU, ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger Pro 12GB and Intel i9-9900KF, but I'm having 2 problems:
  1. In Fortnite specifically, my FPS is pretty bad and not what you would expect, it gets huge drops in FPS and stuttering. I have played with the tuning and stuff but it remains slightly still.
  2. After a while of playing games, in any game I play the FPS drops insanely low and permanently have stutters etc. Unplayable state. Temperature is fine and CPU temp is ok.

I have tried to look up this certain GPU but I can't find any benchmarks or anything about it other than reviews like 1 or 2 or anyone mentioning any issues with it.

Does anyone have any idea? Any solutions come to mind? Anything at this point.

Lutfij

Titan
When you state performing an upgrade, what did you upgrade from? Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

so we should be seeing a before and after of your specs to better understand what you're dealing with. For the sake of relevance, please mention the BIOS version alongside the age of your PSU(apart from it's make and model). If you're on Windows 10, state the version(not edition) of the OS.

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Ah sorry, it's vague to help without me mentioning all the specs, but was hoping someone had an experience with said GPU.
CPU: Was i5-9600KF, upgraded to i9-9900KF
Motherboard: Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S
Ram: HyperX Fury 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM
SSD/HDD: GIGABYTE SSD 240GB/Seagate 1TB HDD (Yes, I have freshly reinstalled Windows)
GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger Pro 12GB
PSU: URANO VX 750W BRONZE
Chassis: NOX Hummer TGM
OS: Windows 10 Pro (OS Version: 21H1. OS Build: 19043.1021)
Monitor: Ozone DSP24 240

BIOS version is the latest (1.40) and PSU age is less than one year.

Last edited:

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Someone mentioned on a thread about 6000 series issues in the AMD forums to disable Control Flow Guard (CFG) in Windows. I'll test that out tomorrow and report back.

Someone mentioned on a thread about 6000 series issues in the AMD forums to disable Control Flow Guard (CFG) in Windows. I'll test that out tomorrow and report back.
You shouldn't have to do this.

Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) while gaming. Let it get down to stuttering for a bit then exit the game and go through the log file or upload it somewhere we can grab it.

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
You shouldn't have to do this.

Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) while gaming. Let it get down to stuttering for a bit then exit the game and go through the log file or upload it somewhere we can grab it.
I am sorry for the very late reply, here you go:
https://we.tl/t-VxhexTpkcm
This was a whole game of fortnite while having stutters and huge drops in low graphics while averaging 160 FPS.

So first off, that PSU is not a good brand. It is inadequate for your system and needs replacing. Your 12V rail isn't even able to supply 12V.
Your BIOS settings appear to be off. Probably from your 9600KF to 9900KF upgrade. Go back into BIOS and make sure you're not artificially limiting that CPU.
Your memory is running at only 2400MHz.
Your GPU core frequency never gets even close to where it should. Possibly due to CPU being choked, possibly due to insufficient quality PSU.
Also, always test stuttering issues with offline games/benchmarks. We don't want to bring network issues into the equation too.

Again, first thing is to test with a good quality PSU. Take a look at groups A and B in this list - https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
So first off, that PSU is not a good brand. It is inadequate for your system and needs replacing. Your 12V rail isn't even able to supply 12V.
Your BIOS settings appear to be off. Probably from your 9600KF to 9900KF upgrade. Go back into BIOS and make sure you're not artificially limiting that CPU.
Your memory is running at only 2400MHz.
Your GPU core frequency never gets even close to where it should. Possibly due to CPU being choked, possibly due to insufficient quality PSU.
Also, always test stuttering issues with offline games/benchmarks. We don't want to bring network issues into the equation too.

Again, first thing is to test with a good quality PSU. Take a look at groups A and B in this list - https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
I have done another test with a Corsair CX650F RGB and here are the results : https://we.tl/t-tLIKobrrUT
I want to stick with fortnite because thats where the problem is more prevalent than other games.
I have checked the bios settings and reset them again to make sure nothing is off.
Could the memory be causing problems? It's now running at 2667 on this test after I enabled XMP.
I also changed the cooler to a Coolser Master 120 Lite

It doesn't seem like anything changed? The FPS problems are still there still even with the different PSU. What do you think?

4745454b

Titan
I don't know who that image hosting site is and I'm not unblocking that many scripts to make it work. So sorry if the info is in the picture because I haven't seen it.

What is the CPU temp? You change the CPU and the cooler. You say it's good, but I'm not sure I believe a CM 120 Lite can really cool a 9900KF. A single 120mm AIO cooler historically haven't done well since the 7700K came out, there is a reason why there are 240mm AIO coolers now. I also wouldn't let anything with the word "lite" in the title anywhere near my i9 CPU. Your problems 100% sound like a temp issue.

Are you adjusting any settings after the BIOS reset?
Is the GPU actually enabled in BIOS? Is your monitor plugged into the GPU (not the motherboard)?
Good that you got the memory up to the correct speed but it's probably not the cause of the stuttering.
Do you have or could you get a second GPU to test?

Unless the stuttering happens in offline benchmarks/games there's no way of knowing whether what you are experiencing is caused by network latency or something else.

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
I don't know who that image hosting site is and I'm not unblocking that many scripts to make it work. So sorry if the info is in the picture because I haven't seen it.

What is the CPU temp? You change the CPU and the cooler. You say it's good, but I'm not sure I believe a CM 120 Lite can really cool a 9900KF. A single 120mm AIO cooler historically haven't done well since the 7700K came out, there is a reason why there are 240mm AIO coolers now. I also wouldn't let anything with the word "lite" in the title anywhere near my i9 CPU. Your problems 100% sound like a temp issue.
That file is a CSV file. Here is a picture of the graph reads of the file: View: https://imgur.com/a/uTmB8PG

It's clearly not a CPU temp issue, and the cooler is fine in my opinion and gets the job done, maybe for extensive gaming I would agree, but for this particular issue I don't think so.

one.bipp

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Are you adjusting any settings after the BIOS reset?
Is the GPU actually enabled in BIOS? Is your monitor plugged into the GPU (not the motherboard)?
Good that you got the memory up to the correct speed but it's probably not the cause of the stuttering.
Do you have or could you get a second GPU to test?

Unless the stuttering happens in offline benchmarks/games there's no way of knowing whether what you are experiencing is caused by network latency or something else.
I do not adjust any other settings other than enabling XMP.
GPU is enabled, "Primary Graphics Adapter" is on PCI Express and my monitor IS plugged into the GPU.
I don't have currently a different GPU to test with for now.

I'll try to get it stuttering into the "Unplayable state" that I've mentioned before on an offline game. Although keep in mind that only Fortnite has this stuttering issue from the start, other games such as Apex Legends or Call of Duty work PERFECTLY fine, which makes me think it is not a network issue, but sometimes it does get into that state while playing those games.

Last edited: