[SOLVED] ASRock RX 5700 XT weird noise.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi!

A few days ago I finished building my pc and I'm pretty happy performance wise. I have a problem with the GPU, I got the ASRock RX 5700 XT Challenger OC, When I'm playing overwatch and I get above 70 degrees It sounds like the right GPU fan is grinding against something, or at least something like that. When I push the GPU upwards with my fingers It stops doing that. Also when I go from 100% fan speed to 30%, It does adjust but it takes a minute untill It actually gets to that 30%. I don't know if thats normal but the sound is something that should not be like that. Should I return the card and get another RX 5700 XT?

Thanks!

Coil whine doesn't sound like grinding. Also, it's doubtful that a slight lift on the card would affect coil whine unless you were causing something to come in contact with the coil on the card. Many of the modern cards don't even have the type of coils that can cause that anymore.

Sep 29, 2019
I am having the same issue and i already RMAd my first card for it. now the second card is doing the exact same thing

If you find a resoltion to the issue other than getting a new card please let me know

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
I am having the same issue and i already RMAd my first card for it. now the second card is doing the exact same thing

If you find a resoltion to the issue other than getting a new card please let me know
All of the sudden the card goes for 415 euro's in my country I assume that they all have this problem and that card is just 1 big failure. I sent mine 16 days ago they still have not checked it....

Sep 29, 2019
Well i opened up my pc last night and check the gpu fans for any sign that it was in contact with something but i didnt really see anything wrong.
I also watched the fans spin as they were makimg the noise and can confirm they arent making contact.

This is one fan causing the noise and its not the same one as my first card so its possible i got two bad cards in a row HOWEVER i do notice that on both cards it would begin making that noise at around 2100 rpm but only if it reached 65c or so.

Im not currently home atm but my basic sysyem specs are
MSI pro carbon X370 motherboard
Ryzen r5 1600 overclocked to 3.8 ghz
16 gigs ddr4 @ 2933
Asrock challenger 5700xt
750 watt corsair power supply(not sure what model number)
Windows 10 home 64 bit

Really it doesn't matter why or how a card is making noise. If it is, it shouldn't be, so it should get RMA'd or returned regardless unless it's something incredibly easy to fix, and then why bother since you will be without it for a while. Take advantage now, while under warranty. That's why you get a warranty and it's actually QUITE common to have to use it when it comes to graphics cards.

Keep in mind as well that ASRock is VERY new in the grand scheme of things, when it comes to offering graphics cards, so it is not surprising that they have a ways to go in terms of quality control and refining their process compared to other card manufacturers.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Really it doesn't matter why or how a card is making noise. If it is, it shouldn't be, so it should get RMA'd or returned regardless unless it's something incredibly easy to fix, and then why bother since you will be without it for a while. Take advantage now, while under warranty. That's why you get a warranty and it's actually QUITE common to have to use it when it comes to graphics cards.

Keep in mind as well that ASRock is VERY new in the grand scheme of things, when it comes to offering graphics cards, so it is not surprising that they have a ways to go in terms of quality control and refining their process compared to other card manufacturers.
I have my money back in a few days, I will get the rx 5700 xt nitro+

Oct 29, 2019

I did the exact same thing. Fans were clicking, RMA'd, and they do the exact same thing. I'm so done with ASrock

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
ASRock has MANY problems with their graphics cards. They have excellent motherboards but the recent addition of graphics cards to their portfolio has been a rocky road, to say the least.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3518-xfx-rx-5700-xt-thicc-ii-ultra-review-benchmark
It's a late response but you're right, I have an ASRock Mobo it works fine. That ASRock GPU I had first had that weird noise and I had a lot of BSOD with that old GPU when I had that GPU I thought my memory caused the problem but since I have the RX 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro+ I've never had a BSOD

Dec 23, 2019
Thanks for posting the video!

I have feeling this is a minor design flaw an RMA will not solve. I was going to return and replace mine with a different model, but decided not to because the card has been rock solid stable. I was able to fix the problem by placing a bead of epoxy putty on the opposite (pci express) side where Bafnek is tapping in the above video. My though was the shroud was resonating and contacting the heat sink when the fans were around 2170 rpms. I believe this did change the resonant frequency. I also put a bead of it inside the back of the shroud, this did not solve the problem. Prior to epoxy putty, I checked to make sure all screws were tight and I also stuck pieces of zip ties between the shroud on heat sink, but they only reduced the issues. If there is interest, I can post a video.

TRENDING THREADS