ASRock Shows Off HDMI-in Feature for Haswell Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The big question that remains is if any of these features will still work if the monitor is connected to a display output on a discrete graphics card."
I guess the card would have to have HDMI in port and all the circuitry for that to work

InvalidError

Titan
The HDMI-in feature likely is nothing more than a HDMI multiplexer chip picking between IGP output and HDMI-In to present to the HDMI output, controlled by a spare pin on the system management IC.

Since this feature also works when the CPU is "off", this means the multiplexer is either operated on 5VSB or uses reed switches or relays. In any case, using the GPU output would require powering up the GPU and the 5VSB supply would be a rather tight fit for that even if you have absolutely nothing else using it. Not to mention that the HDMI-In chip would need to pipe video through PCIe to the IO Hub, the IO Hub pipe that to the CPU and then the CPU to the GPU over the x16 interface... that's a lot of power.

I agree with rolli, almost certainly only works with IGP. No physical path between the GPU's HDMI out and HDMI-In makes it effectively impossible on 5VSB's ~5W budget.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
If this supports Lucid Virtu, you don't have to have the monitor/TV connected to the discrete graphics card. I prefer that setup for my HTPC so that the graphics card can be powered down when doing other things with it besides gaming.

zyky

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
802.11ac, waterproof coating, and they provide some gimmicky HDMI switch instead of a actual digital capture port.. because reaching behind your PC is easier than pushing the source button on your monitor.

TheMentalist

Distinguished
Wow, not bad at all. I think the motherboard will have the HDMI-in support and send the data to a discrete card HDMI-out. Well at least it saves some $$ on a display switch device

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have an Alienware M17X R3 that has HDMI in and out. I find it useful since my stereo that I use for music only in my computer room requires an HDMI screen for menu option management, I can just plut it into my laptop and change the settings when I need without needing a dedicated screen.
This feature would be most useful on tablets you could for example use a high quality screen on a tablet to preview images from a DSLR camera without buying those ridiculously overpriced low quality bulky monitors.

TheMentalist

Distinguished

I believe the PC will function as a 'super switch' between other devices and the screen. Maybe ASRock wiil be adding more features based on this technology in the (near) future

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
It's too bad they didn't do something like PiP. That would require the CPU to be running, but it would have been a nice feature to allow a connected tablet or similar to have a window on the monitor.

lp231

Splendid

Same here, I though you can hook up a tablet or mobile phone via HDMI adapter and use it directly to the HDTV without a computer. Maybe this is only useful for monitors with HDMI since computer monitors are different from HDTV?

If it is just a switch, may as well give you more than 1 hdmi in and allow the dedicated card to run into the switch(allow a jumper or similar to swap from onboard to this extra hdmi in.).

This would allow the dedicated card to do what it does, while still letting the system use the feature when off.

So you screen would ALWAYS be plugged into the board, but the dedicated would also be plugged into the board to allow its signal to pass to the screen when needed as well.

Low power and still gets the job done :)

TheMentalist

Distinguished

I saw two hdmi's in the video, should get the job done :)

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
This will be very useful when it finds it's way to laptops, as I have found myself wishing I had such a feature in the past. When military members deploy, most everybody takes a laptop these days. But if you want to bring a gaming console, you also have to take along a display of some sort. That or get ripped off by AAFES by buying a no-name TV down range. With HDMI In, all I need is my laptop, the game console of my choice, and an HDMI cable.

InvalidError

Titan

It is a Haswell motherboard. Since the IGP and TMDS outputs that drive HDMI ports are directly in the CPU, just about every Haswell motherboard will have some combination of DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and Thunderbolt outputs.

Very good idea.

Hard to say before release. Seems to have a good bit of delay so maybe it does just that, would be nice to emulate the screen at all times(but may be illegal) so the delay would not be so long like it is in the video.

illLoGiQ

Honorable
May 14, 2013
On another note, I'm guessing Sony is releasing a newer version of the PS Vita, one that has HDMI in? Look for this announcement and unveiling probably next month at E3 I'm guessing.

illLoGiQ

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Never mind that's a psp in the video lol. WTF was i thinking. Sony releasing a new version of the most powerful handheld gaming device ever which has failed miserably (looks over at his Vita paper weight). I guess dual analogs doesn't always mean on the go FPS games galore....anyone for Zombie Tycoon 2, RPG game or something that makes me wish it wasn't touch screen &%$#$!!!!!!?

illLoGiQ

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Yeah i saw, i quickly corrected myself

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Most new boards have HDMI outputs..nothing new....I guessing that's for onboard video..can't see that going anywhere everyone knows a video card is the way to go as well as a sound card over onboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.