Question ASRock Steel Legend X299 not seeing SATA Drives

Mar 8, 2020
Hi All, I just built a new computer around an ASRock Steel Legend X299. It seems to be working great and no issues...until I added the SATA-type drives. I have a pair of M.2 drives installed, so I know that SATA3_0/1 will be disabled (though they are PCIE and not SATA), so I deliberately skipped those two ports on the MB. I do have the rest of the SATA3 ports occupied...but none are being detected in the BIOS. These are SAS drives with SATA adapters on them, but that shouldn't be an issue because I am using the same drives and adapters on another computer for the past 4yrs without issue. Is there something which I need to check in the BIOS that might be causing problems? I intended to use the SAS drives in a RAID 5 with a hot spare, but that won't work too well if they aren't detected. I tried using a different power connector from the PS box, and also tried multiple settings in the BIOS to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried is another SATA drive that is not a SAS conversion...but that is next. I just really want to use these enterprise-class drives (15k rpm) that are brand new, versus an older SATA drive and have to buy yet more drives.

Mar 8, 2020
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the reply. I tried some SATA drives, and they are working fine. It is very odd that I have this same setup exact on my old MSI GD65-X58 and it has worked fine for the past 4yrs. :(