Asrock To Ship Desk Mini 110 STX Motherboards Sans Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnPhilips,
I don't know why you'd consider this for gaming. An expensive i7 CPU and forced to use the iGPU only?

This is more suitable to desktop office situations where you can have a silent PC. Maybe add 4GB system memory, an i3 CPU and an SSD.

Pfft. I dunno Why Michael kept pushing to buy the desk mini. If the raspberry pi/beagle board/etc have taught us anything, it's that people are dying to make cases for tiny PC's out of the most unusual/adorable thing they can find.

e.g. Barbie dollhouse PC
http://hackaday.com/2014/07/15/raspberry-pi-turns-a-novelty-radio-into-a-real-computer/

Some users might do that, but they are certainly the minority. Most users will stick to cases they can purchase, and right now there aren't any on the market. Until there are, it wouldn't be the best option for most people to buy just the motherboard until there are some third-party cases available.

@bit_user: It will probably be a while before we see ARM board that will work with a mini-STX case. Intel has been trying to push this new form factor for about a year now and there are still very few products on the market. We probably won't see a wider market presence until 2017, and ARM/AMD boards likely won't show up until the end of that year.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know, but I can dream.

Meanwhile, we have the 96boards form factor that's gaining momentum.

http://www.96boards.org/products/ce/

Su

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I have been looking forward to the new mini-STX motherboard for quite a while. But it seems not being expected by consumers at all, as I rarely see any articles about mini-STX. Personally I believe it's a great idea to install a desktop CPU in such a small space. For people don't care much about GPU like me, I believe it's an ultimate solution for personal computing. Hope it will success in the near future.

DeWayne_R

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
I guess I was one of the lucky ones who managed to snag the new DeskMini 110 from NewEgg. So far is has exceeded expectations in its role as a small, quiet desktop and I want to buy another. Problem is they are out of stock at NE and no one else seems to have them either!

For $139 it even included the WIFI/BT card and a pair of antennas.

John Philips

Reputable
May 3, 2014
My friend, the integrated video on these chips match the power of a GTX 750, and there is no PCIe in this mobo ... Could be a workstation as well, but an excellent HTCP too. So not only used to watch movies in 1080p but also play several (not so video demanding) titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.