ASRock X299 OC Formula Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hmm. I think this board (and all of the x299 boards that achieve 4.4ghz) needs a better cooling solution to really test it. Either LN2 (which would likely be a nightmare to use as an objective test) or maybe delidded with a custom water loop. Delidding is fairly effective on x299 (replacing the TIM with something decent).*

Then again, this article serves as a good example of the woes of overclocking a 10 core cpu. The motherboard isn't going to change the results much for most users because heat is usually the first problem.

*Why Intel decided to skimp on TIM with their $1000 CPUs, I have no idea. But I really don't think penny pinching is a suitable explanation.

ElMojoMikeo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
It would appear that we have indeed hit a massive impasse on cooling. I am currently running older 39x0X processors on X79. I have spent a lot of time in the past tweaking them to stay inside their thermal limits. I am now looking to start upgrading them. The first thing I have been looking at is cooling. From bitter experience. I know that these new SkyLake X processors will be hard to live with on a daily basis without adequate cooling.

Delidding six $1000+ processors. For those that don't know it requires special tools and nerves of steel. Once you have popped the IHS off, all warranties are void. So it's not really an option.

Open Challenge:

So the question now is. Is there a cooling system available anywhere at any cost that can keep a Skylake X processor from throttling under Prime95 on all cores? Without voiding any warranty.

I can't do that with the processors that I have now. So what hope has a Skylake X with more cores, cache and power consumption.

krizdeb

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
7700k compatible ?
https://img.purch.com/rc/400x300/aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWcucHVyY2guY29tL3IvNjAweDQ1MC9hSFIwY0RvdkwyMWxaR2xoTG1KbGMzUnZabTFwWTNKdkxtTnZiUzlKTDAwdk56RXpORGN3TDI5eWFXZHBibUZzTDJsdFlXZGxNREU1TG5CdVp3PT0=

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, recycled chart with missing title update. I thought I'd caught all of those :)

Status
Not open for further replies.